How do I connect the parts on my custum water cooler?

PuperHacker

Honorable
Hello everyone,
a friend of mine is building a new PC, and he plans to use this liquid cooling kit:https://www.thermaltake.com/Liquid_Cooler/Liquid_Cooler_/LCS_Kits/C_00003190/Pacific_M360_Plus_D5_Hard_Tube_Water_Cooling_Kit/design.htm
Which parts are meant to be connected to the motherboard, and which to the PSU (if any)?
Also, how many cpu fan slots i will need on the motherboard?
I am worried that I will not be able to find a motherboard with 3 cpu fan slots and a pump connector as well.
Any help is much appreciated!

Solution
Most recent motherboards will offer direct control of all the fan headers. You will be able to tell them to respond to CPU temperatures.

Pump should be the CPU fan/pump header, as you want an RPM signal from there to tell you the CPU has working cooling. The fans can go in normal fan headers.

As for the other questions. The only thing that might plug into the power supply that is absolutely necessary is the pump power. It will likely have RGB that might need to be also powered. The fans will plug into the motherboard.

And I suppose the RGB is wireless, so control of that could go to the motherboard, but you can bypass that and use an app with a capable device. I'm guessing bluetooth 4.0 at least.

Hard tubing isn't usually what...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Most recent motherboards will offer direct control of all the fan headers. You will be able to tell them to respond to CPU temperatures.

Pump should be the CPU fan/pump header, as you want an RPM signal from there to tell you the CPU has working cooling. The fans can go in normal fan headers.

As for the other questions. The only thing that might plug into the power supply that is absolutely necessary is the pump power. It will likely have RGB that might need to be also powered. The fans will plug into the motherboard.

And I suppose the RGB is wireless, so control of that could go to the motherboard, but you can bypass that and use an app with a capable device. I'm guessing bluetooth 4.0 at least.

Hard tubing isn't usually what people start with, but if that is what you want to do, go for it. The rest should just be following the instructions.

Seems a little overboard for just CPU cooling. Much simpler to buy an all-in-one with RGB.

Solution

PuperHacker

Honorable

Thanks for your answer. I think that a motherboard like this would be suitable, right?
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z390-GAMING-EDGE-AC

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That will certainly work as a motherboard for an Intel system, but there are several RGB standards. I haven't really looked into Razer's standard before or MSI's Mystic Light for that matter. No idea if you can plug all that in direct.

That water cooling kit may have you plug the fans into an included controller, or expect you to have one.

Irritates me that they didn't all sit down and create a standard. I suppose they all thought that developing software independently and trying to lock people on to their platform would work out better. Considering these things probably have the highest profit margin of anything on the market they all seem to have turned a little greedy.

If you want a comprehensive build list, I suggest posting for a complete build. Give your budget as well. Spending a lot on water cooling up front on the first time might not be the wisest course. Unless you really need the CPU performance, then Z390 is probably not the best choice there either.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice