how do I connect to domain? The option is greyed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

plrbear1028

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
I went into system settings and 'network id' is greyed out and doesn't give me the option to switch from workgroup to hooking up the domain.

Solution

If you're upgrading from 7/8.1 Pro or...

plrbear1028

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014

sorry about that, I didn't know they had Pro editions of this new OS yet.

plrbear1028

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014

trying to connect to the business domain. I believe she bought the laptop with home. She wants to use VPN to get to the network drives at work

USAFRet

Titan

Then it needs Win 10 Pro.
I have not seen a 'Pro Upgrade' for sale yet, only Pro on its own for $140 (OEM) or $200 (Retail)

plrbear1028

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014

that's what I thought. I wasn't sure if windows 10 includes all of those versions yet, but I guess so. thank you

You can do the upgrade (Pro or otherwise) through the Windows media creation tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I saw the tip on the MS support forums written by an actual MS employee (I also noticed a lot of bogus information in the MS community and support forums written by those with moderator capabilities who are not MS employees pointing people in a very wrong direction). Whatever your current edition is will be upgraded to the Windows 10 equivalent.

One of my PCs has the Windows 10 Pro edition on it.

Not sure when they'll offer the Pro upgrade for purchase.

USAFRet

Titan

If you're upgrading from 7/8.1 Pro or higher, yes.
As this laptop cam preinstalled with Win 10 Home.....not gonna work.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

I've seen that as well. In addition, I saw a member here yesterday who posted a copy/paste of his chat with a MS helpdesk employee, that was 100% totally wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.