[SOLVED] How do I connect two computers connected to the same router through 2 different LAN cables?

Jan 28, 2020
I have two computers connected to the same router - connected through LAN ports 1 & 2. I just want to be able to play LAN games but apparently our computers can't detect each other.

Solution
I have two computers connected to the same router - connected through LAN ports 1 & 2. I just want to be able to play LAN games but apparently our computers can't detect each other.
There is nothing in your networking setup that would prevent your computers from detecting the other. I have not seen a router that has client isolation for wired ports. It has to be something on the PCs. Firewall would be the obvious thing.
Start by opening a cmd.exe window and running ipconfig /all on both computers. Verify that they have similar IP addresses (192.168.x.y) The only thing that should be different is the last number in the IP address.
Once you have the IP address of both machines verify that you can ping them. In the...

kanewolf

Titan
There is nothing in your networking setup that would prevent your computers from detecting the other. I have not seen a router that has client isolation for wired ports. It has to be something on the PCs. Firewall would be the obvious thing.
Start by opening a cmd.exe window and running ipconfig /all on both computers. Verify that they have similar IP addresses (192.168.x.y) The only thing that should be different is the last number in the IP address.
Once you have the IP address of both machines verify that you can ping them. In the same cmd.exe window run ping <<PC #1 IP address>> from PC #2. Also do the opposite.
IF you can ping, then your network is operating properly. You have some other problem with game discovery.

Solution
I would like to also point out that IF router is in bridge mode (rare few if any are by default but... you never know), it means both computers get their IP direct from your ISP and them seeing each other properly is unlikely.
It is also not unheard of that one port (1 or 4 usually) of the router is in bridge mode and others work as normal.
but as mentioned by Kanewolf, that would be apparent once you do ipconfig /all and IP's are not in private IP ranges.