[SOLVED] How do i convert RAID 1 drive to normal?

yossefelbaz

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2012
Hi.

My NAS failed to start (OS issue) so i took the 2 HDDs out of it. They both are setup as RAID 1 array.

I want now to simply (wonder if possible...) to convert it to regular HDD setup and use it with my external enclosure without losing data and without data recovery process.

After attaching and plugging to my PC i can see drive letters with partitions that asking to be formatted (Not good for me).

Please help, and thanks in advance.

Solution
RAID 1 only protects for a physical drive fail. If you need the actual Uptime.
It does nothing for all the other forms of data loss.

Such as the RAID controller (your NAS motherboard or OS?) actually dying. You can't just slap one or both of those drives in a Windows system and expect to read them.
What specific NAS device was this?

USAFRet

Titan
"without losing data and without data recovery process. "

This is specifically what backups are for.
RAID 1 is NOT a backup.

Possibly ReclaiMe can rebuild your RAID thing, allowing data recovery.
http://www.freeraidrecovery.com/?s=rd

yossefelbaz

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2012
Thanks for your reply.

For me it was the perfect type of backup i needed. The RAID 1 is a backup without time recovery points.
I could always switch drive with a new one and they will keep up my stuff in a mirror working in high speed. (i had the NAS taking snapshots also)
My issue now is not the type of RAID i have used, because the NAS station is not uploading, so it doesn't matter.

ReclaiMe is for all other types of RAID, the RAID 1 not listed there. Am i missing something?

USAFRet

Titan
RAID 1 only protects for a physical drive fail. If you need the actual Uptime.
It does nothing for all the other forms of data loss.

Such as the RAID controller (your NAS motherboard or OS?) actually dying. You can't just slap one or both of those drives in a Windows system and expect to read them.
What specific NAS device was this?

Solution