How do i convince my parents to buy me a graphics card?

Lef_Nutz

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
I really want the new rx 480 and i have the money for it, it's just that my parents won't let me buy it. I study well at school and have all As, and they still wouldn't buy me a graphics card. I really don't know how to convince them, and my pc is in serious gpu upgrade, so please help me!!!

Solution
I would suggest a mature, unemotional conversation with your parents to understand their concerns. They must have a reason.

Seeking advice from total strangers on a tech forum website is otherwise not a solution.

Good luck.
maybe pickup a card from ebay, not the 480 obviously to new for that. GTX 970 seems to be going for under $200 so you can swing it as being prudent with your money and you still get the same level of performance. That or threaten to put them in the crappiest old folks place when they get older :p

SoNic67

Distinguished
Ask them why are they opposing this first. To me, it seems like they are thinking that you are wasting the money on something that you don't need... and they might be right.
I would not think that you NEED that card, but you didn't specified the rest of the system - CPU, monitor resolution... plus what GPU you have now.

Maybe your parents think the new card will make you play more and longer and study less causing you to lower your school grades. so, promise them to stick to a gaming schedule that will not affect your grades.

I'm sure you won't be lieing if you tell them that gaming can train your brain and improve cognitive function. So gaming can actually help improve or keep your grades up if your time is appropriately managed.

Check related info
https://www.google.com/search?q=can...firefox-a&gfe_rd=cr&ei=WnuJV-eeGsrj8AfigLbYAg

Code:
https://www.google.com/search?q=can+gaming+improve+brain+function&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gfe_rd=cr&ei=WnuJV-eeGsrj8AfigLbYAg

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I would suggest a mature, unemotional conversation with your parents to understand their concerns. They must have a reason.

Seeking advice from total strangers on a tech forum website is otherwise not a solution.

Good luck.

Solution

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
Try your best to convince them, try everything and do everything in your power to get them to say yes. But if they still wont let you buy a graphics card there is a last resort. If you really want it(do this at your own risk) get a friend to help you by letting you oder it and use there address. It might work but it depends on how tech savvy your parents are. Might want to wait for aftermarket rx 480 so you can get a mini itx one(easier to conceal). Also whats your current rigs specs and curent gpu? (if it's amd maybe you can find a 480 that looks just like it )Also will they allow you to purchase a lower end card, like is it a price issue, are they trying to make you save for collage or something?

Just what COLGeek said.

In all honesty, this isn't the place to ask. We have no idea what your parents are like and what their priorities are. This is a tech forum dedicated to tech problems, not relationships.

But since you asked, I hope I can still help:

The best way to get a graphics card or any computer component isn't to "convince" your parents by pleading, rather ask them if YOU can work for it by making your own money. I'm still pretty young, and I have gotten some really nice computer parts like a 2k overclockable monitor and a mechanical keyboard by working and using my own money. I was even able to get my $1000 rig as a gift from my parents when I was 15. Remember, you serve your parents until your out of the house, so give them a good reason to give you an RX 480. :)

Lef_Nutz

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
Thank you for all of your suggestions, I seriously appreciate it. Asking such a question on a tech forum was kind of a stupid idea, but I really didn't have a choice at the end and I almost gave up hope on getting a new GPU. I did everything in my power to convince them, but it didn't work at the end. TechyInAz's idea of making money on my own sounds like a great idea, but the problem is is that I can't find any work. I'll try my best to find some kind of a job, since my parents don't have a problem spending my own earned money. The money I have right now is collected from both of them and all my grandparents, so you get the point. Once again, I'm really glad you guys tried to help me out :)

Lef_Nutz

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015

Thank you for all of your suggestions, I seriously appreciate it. Asking such a question on a tech forum was kind of a stupid idea, but I really didn't have a choice at the end and I almost gave up hope on getting a new GPU. I did everything in my power to convince them, but it didn't work at the end. TechyInAz's idea of making money on my own sounds like a great idea, but the problem is is that I can't find any work. I'll try my best to find some kind of a job, since my parents don't have a problem spending my own earned money. The money I have right now is collected from both of them and all my grandparents, so you get the point. Once again, I'm really glad you guys tried to help me out :)