How do I copy cassettes to laptop?

Is there a place on my Sony FX-250 laptop, to plug in stereo, line inputs?
Is the mic jack stereo?
I want to copy stereo cassettes to my hard drive.
Any help is appreciated. Thank to all of you who know about PC's

jt

On 19 Jul 2004 19:01:05 GMT, over40pirate@aol.comnospam (Over40pirate)
wrote:

>Is there a place on my Sony FX-250 laptop, to plug in stereo, line inputs?
>Is the mic jack stereo?
>I want to copy stereo cassettes to my hard drive.
>Any help is appreciated. Thank to all of you who know about PC's

Don't use Mic jack, it is a low level input and often mono. Use Aux in.
That is line level and stereo.

wrote:

>Is there a place on my Sony FX-250 laptop, to plug in stereo, line inputs?
>Is the mic jack stereo?
>I want to copy stereo cassettes to my hard drive.
>Any help is appreciated. Thank to all of you who know about PC's

If there is a Line in/ AUX in, that's the way to do it. The MIC is
supposed to be stereo, but it's not necessarily so. The Line-in and
AUX in should be though.

You'll still need to unmute them in the mixer though (the record
dialog, not the playback dialog).

MCheu

Over40pirate wrote:

> Is there a place on my Sony FX-250 laptop, to plug in stereo, line inputs?
> Is the mic jack stereo?

No offense but what happened to the manual that came with it and has all
the pretty pictures telling you what everything is and does.

"Over40pirate" <over40pirate@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> Is there a place on my Sony FX-250 laptop, to plug in stereo, line inputs?
> Is the mic jack stereo?
> I want to copy stereo cassettes to my hard drive.
> Any help is appreciated. Thank to all of you who know about PC's

Use a "line" or "aux" input. If your laptop doesn't have them (my WinBook
laptop doesn't) you may need to resort to using a desktop machine with a
regular sound card or one of the USB sound systems for the laptop. One other
thing: the audio output of some cassette decks may be too hot to be readily
controllable even with a line-level input. I regularly convert book-on-tape
titles to MP3 files so that I can listen to them while walking exercising
and have had to rig a variable attenuator between the output of my Pioneer
cassette changer and the line input of a Creative sound card so that I can
gain better level control than the electronic setting of the recorder
application allows.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]