Question How do I copy data from one NAS to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2022
I find technology a bit of a challenge. I have a 4 bay DS NAS, 4 x 2tb drives with no raid configured and a drive, (disc 4), with a degraded partition. It was time to get another NAS - should have done it a couple of years ago. The new one is another DS 4 bay with 4 x 4tb drives and raid 5 configured. How difficult is it to copy all my data from the old NAS to the new one? My learning style is by reading not pictures. Would someone e be kind d enough to explain fairly simply how to do this if at all possible? X

Ralston18

Titan
Is there some particular reason or requirement for using RAID 5 or any RAID # for that matter?

For the most part I would expect that the requirement is to simply have multiple data backups in different locations.

And no need for RAID per se.

I find technology a bit of a challenge. I have a 4 bay DS NAS, 4 x 2tb drives with no raid configured and a drive, (disc 4), with a degraded partition.
If a disk in NAS has failed, you replace the failed disk. There's no need to replace entire NAS.
How difficult is it to copy all my data from the old NAS to the new one?
Simple copy and paste. There's no magic involved.

Obviously you can't copy data from failed disk, if there was no RAID redundancy.
But data on remaining disks should be available.

Reactions: GreenGlassGoblin

Ralston18

Titan
My concerns were two-fold:

1) The requirement to recover data and 2) to recover that data to a new NAS.

My thought was that without some specific need for RAID then the process, be it a straightforward copy & paste (as posted by @SkyNetRising) or otherwise, could be simplified and perhaps less risky without a needing a RAID configuration on the new NAS.

Regarding RAID 5:

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/power9/0009-ESS?topic=recovery-raid-5-disk

https://4ddig.tenorshare.com/windows-recovery-solutions/how-to-recover-files-from-raid.html

I found other similar links as well. Some were for recovery software.

For example (not a recommendation or endorsement):

https://www.magicuneraser.com/press/how_to_recover_data_from_raid_5.php

And there are links that provide both written step-by-step and/or pictures as well.

Key is to first prevent any additional data losses and second, to carefully work out the specific actions, step-by-step, to recover data and get it all saved (with or without RAID) on the new NAS.

Sep 27, 2022
If a disk in NAS has failed, you replace the failed disk. There's no need to replace entire NAS.

Simple copy and paste. There's no magic involved.

Obviously you can't copy data from failed disk, if there was no RAID redundancy.
But data on remaining disks should be available.
Thanks, I'll give it a go, there is a hell of a lot though. I was hoping I could push some uttons and it would "flow over" Start in the morning x

USAFRet

Titan
First off, a single bad drive in your original NAS does not warrant a whole new NAS.
Just replace the recalcitrant drive, and repopulate if from your backup.

Second, be careful of the RAID 5.
So you'll have 4x4TB drives.
12TB effective space in a RAID 5.

Lets assume you have 8TB consumed in this array.
Rebuilding that RAID 5 after a dead drive and replace will be on the order of 10-15 hours.

Yes, I've done this.

For your question about how to transfer....
Simply get both up and running.
Copy the data from NAS A to NAS B.

I believe Synology will have a built in function to Copy from A to B, once they are both on the same LAN.

Either way, this will take a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.