Question How do I correct a wrong TDP for my laptop CPU which is causing throttling in Games due to heat??

Feb 22, 2019
Specs i5-8250U 15 W upto 3.40Ghz. 940mx 8GB memory and windows 10.
I am facing intermittent FPS drops while playing Heavy Titles like Far Cry 4 and Project CARS. My laptop motherboard has been recently serviced to date and replacement of Fan and Heat sink is also done. Last time I checked intel Xtu, My TDP was shown to be 35W which is most likely to be the cause of the problem. I already reset my BIOS, Reinstalled windows and did every thing to solve the problem. Even the techies involved in the repair of my clueless about how to resolve the issue.
Any leads would be appreciated.
TIA

First I'd open Power Options in the Control Panel not in Settings app. Open your power profile. Go into advanced options . Make sure system cooling is set to active not passive.

Then I'd install MSI Afterburner with Rivatuner. Enable OSD and get a better look at what is going on while gaming.

Feb 22, 2019
First I'd open Power Options in the Control Panel not in Settings app. Open your power profile. Go into advanced options . Make sure system cooling is set to active not passive.

Then I'd install MSI Afterburner with Rivatuner. Enable OSD and get a better look at what is going on while gaming.
I'm already using MSI and Riva. Whenever the fps is dropping, I am observing a decrease in Cpu usage from around 43% to 17% approx. And while I launch the game, The Cpu temps go upto 92 degrees at 3.4Ghz and then come down to 79-83 degrees periodically. Any idea?

Feb 22, 2019

I'm already using MSI and Riva. Whenever the fps is dropping, I am observing a decrease in Cpu usage from around 43% to 17% approx. And while I launch the game, The Cpu temps go upto 92 degrees at 3.4Ghz and then come down to 79-83 degrees periodically. Any idea? My system cooling policy is active throughout.

If CPU usage is going down. Then your CPU is not the problem. If it was throttling. CPU usage would be going up.

Given that your GPU is a 940mx. That is the most likely bottle neck. As that is a low end chip. It could also be your laptop is using integrated graphics in game.

FPS does vary in games. The number of objects in any location can vary this greatly. Which is more noticeable on a lower end GPU.

RAM usage may also be a factor.