How do I detect a CPU bottleneck?

Schytheron

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
How do I detect a CPU bottleneck... I dont quite understand what to look at ... CPU usage ingame or GPU usage. And what is a good game for checking cpu bottlenecks??

Specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.6 Ghz
Sapphire Radeon 7870 XT with Boost
Resolution: 1366x768

Schytheron

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012

I monitor all cores individually. But I cant seem to find a good game for CPU bottleneck detection.

I played Metro Last light and all cores were at like 60% while my gfx card was also at 60%... Thats normal right?

rex4235

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Some games (like Arma 3 beta) can lead you to believe you have a GPU bottleneck when you lower certain settings below a point. In A3, if you turn the smoke resolution down past medium it anticipates the user having a poor GPU and offloads the work to the CPU.

So my question would be, are you running low settings as a result of your poor fps?

Schytheron

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012

I ran Metro Last Light at High settings and when i pushed them to very high fps didnt change... soo im guessing my GPU isnt a issue at all. I also ran Crysis 3 and it seems i dont have a bottleneck. CPU usage was at 30-40% while GPU usage could go up to 100%. The wierd thing is that under 60 fps my gpu tries to push itself to get 60 fps, but as soon as i go over 60fps the gpu usage drops very much. Im suspecting that it isnt my CPU, maybe my GPU has some sort of power saving function... if that even exists...

Schytheron

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012

I have now both overclocked my cpu and gpu... and right now i dont seem to notice any bottlenecks btw. GPU temps btw are very low. Getting 64c on load. My card can handle like 80-90c

I have also reinstalled windows and when I now ran Metro Last Light I could play on very high settings without any issues whatsoever. Must have had some problem with Windows. Maybe had malware or something :)

likdaboo

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

i have an 8 core proccessor and a cpu bottleneck, if the percent is sticking between 50% - 60% then the cpu is bottlenecked.. if you have 8 cores, as its using 4 cores at 100%, then 10% on the other cores..

so id take your amount of cores and work out ther percentage it will use running 4 cores.. and see if its close
for example a 6 core proccessor bottlenecked would show around 66.6%

Not at all. CPU bottlenecks are not that simple. Bulldozer is a very good example of that.