[SOLVED] How do I determine if a laptop has a good PSU?

60frames

Great
Jun 4, 2019
I know that PSU is the most important component of a system and it determines the life of other components but in case of laptops how do I judge if a high end gaming laptop has a good supply and will last longer?

Solution
You really don't. All the companies use pretty proprietary PSUs and theres really not much review/testing done on them.

Honestly buy/build a high end desktop, then buy a cheap low end every day laptop for work and general use. Gaming laptops are expensive for the price to performance ratio, noisy because of small coolers and fans, and with the way CPUs and GPUs are putting out heat these days typically all suffer from thermal throttling especially the more powerful ones.

If you need to game on the go like lan parties or traveling you can build small ITX gaming builds which would still be cheaper and let you have better performance. All you would need is a small monitor.
You really don't. All the companies use pretty proprietary PSUs and theres really not much review/testing done on them.

Honestly buy/build a high end desktop, then buy a cheap low end every day laptop for work and general use. Gaming laptops are expensive for the price to performance ratio, noisy because of small coolers and fans, and with the way CPUs and GPUs are putting out heat these days typically all suffer from thermal throttling especially the more powerful ones.

If you need to game on the go like lan parties or traveling you can build small ITX gaming builds which would still be cheaper and let you have better performance. All you would need is a small monitor.

Solution
I think you're forgetting the 'brick'... the power convertor that's external to the laptop. There are numerous sources of after-market bricks for popular laptops, and that can probably be reduced to a relatively few OEM's. Many are pure junk, but buying direct from Dell or HP or Lenovo means always paying a premium for assured quality.

It's a better question that it seems. I would like to see some testing on the aftermarket bricks.

Falkentyne

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
I know that PSU is the most important component of a system and it determines the life of other components but in case of laptops how do I judge if a high end gaming laptop has a good supply and will last longer?

Delta brick PSU's tend to be the most reliable. (I believe they're the same company that make those very high and loud CFM fans too). I don't know about chicony.