Question How do I determine if it's my motherboard or CPU that's broken?

Apr 26, 2019
I put my mobo on cardboard, connected the 24 pin ATX and the 8 pin CPU cable. I installed my CPU and CPU cooler and powered on, my computer turns on for half a second then switches back off.

CPU cooler fan spins for half a second then stops. I don't know if it's my motherboard or CPU. Please help.

Apr 26, 2019
I5 4690k
GTX 980 Ti
8gb RAM ddr3
Evga GQ 850w

The psu I tested on another system and it works. I also bought it about 2 weeks ago as it was my primary suspicion

Apr 26, 2019
make and model of the motherboard?
Motherboard is H97 Pro4.

Pc View: https://imgur.com/gallery/meerAJQ

Those are the pictures. I removed everything and installed one by one. I even tried a separate PSU and it still failed to fully boot. When I tried to start with only the CPU connected to the motherboard it was no different - power LED lights up for half a second, fans spin for half a second then it shuts off.

I also connected my speakers to the motherboard to see if it beeps but it doesn't do that neither.

Sorry if those pictures aren't clear, just let me know if you'd like a different angle or picture taken of something specific. Thanks

Apr 26, 2019
No I've had this set up for the past 3 years and about 2 months ago it began rebooting randomly. Up until yesterday it shut down completely and won't reboot anymore.

I assumed it was my psu but upon further investigation I now believe it's my CPU (or the cooler? I'm not sure?) or the motherboard.

I removed every single component and started testing each one from scratch. I removed everything except the CPU and it still fails to boot, so it has to be either the motherboard or the cpu right? Since those are the only two components I'm testing.

I can see adapter being used - 2x6pin to 8pin. One of 6pin connection hangs in air unconnected. That is wrong.
Remove the adapter and use 6+2pin instead.

I can't see in those pictures, if cpu fan is connected.

For system to be able to boot, cpu, single stick of ram and cpu cooler is necessary. Without ram it won't boot. It should give beep signal about missing ram though.

Apr 26, 2019
I can see adapter being used - 2x6pin to 8pin. One of 6pin connection hangs in air unconnected. That is wrong.
Remove the adapter and use 6+2pin instead.

I can't see in those pictures, if cpu fan is connected.

For system to be able to boot, cpu, single stick of ram and cpu cooler is necessary. Without ram it won't boot. It should give beep signal about missing ram though.
Hi.

I replaced gpu 8 pin with the 6+2 pin but no luck. Cpu fan is connected. I tried booting with nothing but cpu and RAM installed (motherboard too ofc) and still no luck

Here's a pic regarding the gpu. The pins on the right are 6+2, pins on the left are just 6.

Gpu View: https://imgur.com/gallery/HcSCcaB

Also, in my first pictures I've had then connected like that for 3 years and no problems, I appreciate the help but I'm almost certain it's the mobo or CPU but ofc I could be wrong.

I tried booting with no RAM also but I received no beep codes. Tried booting with one stick of RAM too with same results.

Last edited: