May 17, 2008
This Dell Dimension has -
P4 2.4
GT6800 AGP
2 120 GB HD's
512MB RAM
XP
22" LCD

The symptoms are that a few times each day, the monitor will go black and for a while alternating white squares saying "Analog" then "Digital" will appear on upper left part of the monitor. I can't shut down the system with the power button so I have to pull the plug. The computer will usually start up almost normally after that, but after displaying the initial screen where you can access the configuration, the screen stays black for quite a while before getting to the Windows XP screen. A couple of months earlier, a GT6600 died in this computer.

Sorry I didn't know where to place this. Maybe it has to lead to a new system. Thanks.

I think it may be time to put "Ol Betsy" down or send her to the glue factory. She sounds tired, worn out, and very old.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Open up the case and blow out all the dust and lint. Take something like a straw and hold the fans from spinning while blowing on them.

If this doesent help at least she will be all cleaned up for the viewing.

mrmez

Splendid
Sounds like its terminal.

You can extend the old girls life with a new gfx card, but once you open her up, you may find the cancer has spread.

The only way to figure out whats wrong is replace one component at a time.