How do I disable my CPU integrated Graphics?

lgiagounidis

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
I have an ASUS N501VW Laptop which I bought about a year ago. Recently while playing Overwatch I noticed that even though the game said I had 60 fps, I dropped Frames which hasn't happened before because I before I had the graphics settings on low and now I changed it to high. I think that my integrated GPU has something to do with this because when I disable it in my Device Manager, I cannot run any games.This doesn't mean I use the Intel 530 for games, I know for certain that I don't. Also my NVIDIA control panel shows no options other than the 3d ones and I have a second Intel control panel which has the missing options. When I disable the integrated GPU, I cannot access the Intel control panel but the missing settings also do not appear in the NVIDIA one. I think this is because my screen is running on the integrated GPU. Is there any way to change that?

Solution

That doesn't apply to a laptop, only to a desktop PC when you've added a PCI-E graphics card.

lgiagounidis - you definitely do not want to disable the Intel integrated graphics. If it's disabled you'll get no display.

Your laptop has what is commonly called "Switchable Graphics" (dual GPUs).

Open Nvidia Control Panel >> Manage 3D Settings >> Program Settings.

Choose the game via the drop-down list or add it.

Now assign the Nvidia GPU to that game (where it says "select preferred graphics processor").

Close Nvidia Control Panel (there's no "Save Settings" as it's saved dynamically).

That game should...

lgiagounidis

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
When I go into BIOS, the only thing I can do is add more dedicated Ram to my iGPU which is nice but sadly not the solution to my problem

That doesn't apply to a laptop, only to a desktop PC when you've added a PCI-E graphics card.

lgiagounidis - you definitely do not want to disable the Intel integrated graphics. If it's disabled you'll get no display.

Your laptop has what is commonly called "Switchable Graphics" (dual GPUs).

Open Nvidia Control Panel >> Manage 3D Settings >> Program Settings.

Choose the game via the drop-down list or add it.

Now assign the Nvidia GPU to that game (where it says "select preferred graphics processor").

Close Nvidia Control Panel (there's no "Save Settings" as it's saved dynamically).

That game should now use the Nvidia GPU, even after rebooting.

Repeat process for other games.

There's an alternative quicker way but I don't think it "sticks" across Windows sessions:

Right-click the game shortcut.
Find "Run with Graphics processor . . . " in the context-menu.
Left-click "High Performance Nvidia Processor"

Solution