How do I disable on-board graphics card?

Tanoxil

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
Hi, I installed a new graphics card on my pc but it doesn't seem to work (the fan spins but no display) but when I connect the monitor directly to the motherboard graphics it works perfectly fine. What can I do to switch the primary graphics card to the new one?

Tanoxil

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
Specs: intel core 2 duo e5200, 3gb ram, 640gb, Windows 10. The pc has integrated graphics on the motherboard (NVIDIA nForce 630i; GeForce 7100) so maybe that's the problem. Should I install new drivers or something? I want to install the r7 250

Go into the motherboard BIOS.
Look for something related to graphics such as "PCIe, Auto, iGPU" or similar.

Change it to AUTO, then save, turn off and connect the monitor to the graphics card.

If that fails try "PCIe" instead but AUTO is mean to auto-detect what the monitor is connected to and choose the proper graphics setup.

Then download and run the appropriate AMD or NVidia drivers.

Tanoxil

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
So I tried installing a BIOS update but the problem is that the file that I downloaded on the acer website has a .221 file instead of the .rom file so I can't flash the BIOS with AFUWIN.exe

Remove the video card. Try it in another PC if you have one.

r7 250 should not need a power cable.

Put the video card back into the PC. Removing and re-installing the card is called "re-seating" and often fixes problems caused by dirt, corrosion, etc in the PCIe slot with older PCs. Now try your PC again with video from the card. Good luck.

update: don't forget to open the catch at the back of teh PCIe slot when you remove the card. If you pull straight up and the card does not come up likely the catch is holding it down.

Tanoxil

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

Thank you! It worked but I still have some issues. I need to restart the computer like 10 times before it displays something.