How do I downgrade to Windows 7 from a Windows 8 laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xfallenz38x

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
I just ordered and received a MSI GE70 0ND-213US.

I ordered a day too late because the Windows 7 model became discontinued and had to pay $70 more to get the Windows 8 model. I am trying to install Windows 7 professional off of a USB formatted at FAT32. I created it using an old ISO and the Microsoft USB booter tool.

There are two partitions, OS_Install and DATA. OS_Install currently has Windows 8. I want to install on DATA so I don't void my warranty.

I have disabled secure boot, tried booting from the USB and clicking on the "setup" application in Win8 from the USB. Either way I end up on the "Starting Windows" and haven't gotten any further. I tried updating the installation files to fix that, but it got error "0x0" and couldn't update them.

I have no idea what to do now. I am open to any suggestions on what to do to fix my currently installation method, but I am also open to any other was of installing Win7.

Thanks in advance

Solution
If you have Windows 8 or or upgrade to it, it allows you to downgrade to Windows 7 Pro. You must disable secure boot in PC settings, then go into bios and disable UEFI and switch to traditional bios as well as doing the same for the bootable discs in the bios settings, then download the windows 7 install.iso from the microsoft site and use the microsoft windows 7 dvd tool to burn the .iso to a DVD or bootable USB stick. You must delete all the existing partitions on your drive and create new ones as the windows 8 and windows 7 ones aren't compatible. Make sure you burn your Windows 8 restore discs first or you'll lose the ability to go back to Windows 8 in the future if it ever becomes useful. Once you install Win7, you might have to...

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
or you could simply install start8 by iobit

it forces win8 into desktop mode and can disable metro and brings back start menu

looks like a slightly tweaked win7 but obviously more support from MS for what little thats worth

xfallenz38x

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Thanks, this can do for now. The main reason I want to install Win7 though is because when I play CoD4 Multiplayer there is a huge frame rate drop (even though it runs seamlessly in single player, and CoD5 MP also works) and the only reason I can think of is because of windows 8.

And really, thanks, this program will make things a lot easier.

I can play BO2 on max in windows 8 with a 7750 $70 video card with 60 FPS. None of my other games seem to be affected too.

There is no reason that laptop shouldn't be able to play COD fine. Make sure the graphics drivers are up to date and if that system uses a hybrid video thing, make sure it's using the 660m for the game and not the onboard.

I would definably not downgrade to Windows 7 and yes it would be a downgrade. Windows 8 is much better in every way than Windows 7. Using Windows 8 for 5 minutes is enough to get use to the new UI and you will find it much better that Windows 7 if you really give it a chance. If you go into it closed minded then that is your problem.

Unless you really hate it there is no point in downgrading. You cannot downgrade with a consumer license. Windows 8 once you start your game is the same. Beware of triggering weird things with your touchpad so be careful about it. I will say Windows 8 is not as good as 7 if you do not have a touch screen. But I would skin in some of the windows 7 features you miss.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
As I recall, I had a similar issue before with the BIOS set to UEFI-mode (somehow Windows 7 didn't like that).

7 is definitely better than 8 IMO if you like a decently designed product overall. (though the kernel is better)

xfallenz38x

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

I turned UEFI-mode to legacy boot mode. When it asked me to choose which partition to choose, it wouldn't let me go on because it was in the format of GPT. I went back to Windows 8 and tried to format it, and that did nothing (I tried both long and short format)

risestar

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
If you have Windows 8 or or upgrade to it, it allows you to downgrade to Windows 7 Pro. You must disable secure boot in PC settings, then go into bios and disable UEFI and switch to traditional bios as well as doing the same for the bootable discs in the bios settings, then download the windows 7 install.iso from the microsoft site and use the microsoft windows 7 dvd tool to burn the .iso to a DVD or bootable USB stick. You must delete all the existing partitions on your drive and create new ones as the windows 8 and windows 7 ones aren't compatible. Make sure you burn your Windows 8 restore discs first or you'll lose the ability to go back to Windows 8 in the future if it ever becomes useful. Once you install Win7, you might have to call microsoft if you have trouble activating it and explain the downgrade and they'll activate you.

Solution

jpmason

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013

The only explanation for this post is that you work for Microsoft.

Windows 8 is the most god awful OS they have ever put out.

Ever.

I'd rather install Windows ME on every computer I ever own from now until I die than use Windows 8. I'd rather have shards of glass in my eye. I'm trying to downgrade my friends laptop right now, which is what brought me here, and it's the biggest pain in the ass just trying to open the goddamned boot menu. I ended up having to use the command prompt only to find that for whatever ******* reason, Windows 8 doesn't recognize my nifty Win7 thumb drive as a bootable device.

***'s fucked. I'm sticking with Windows 7 until Microsoft comes to their senses.

hunterbs

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

I agree with JPMASON, Window 8 is the worst platform since Mindless Edition. If I wanted to navigate like an Ipad, I would have purchased and IPAD!. The fact that Microsoft discontinued Windows 7 (The most stable and consistent performng OS they have created) has me looking at a MAC.

Despite what bronhowley wrote, I have had it for a month, at I think I hate it a little more each day!

Micheal_57

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Windows 8 is a flop

Im a series gamer and I dont think gaming companies are going to change the way they do things just for microsoft. There is already enough feedback to suggest windows 8 is a series flop. Real gamers will not do the switch. They will not build new systems just for windows 8. The way i see it... if its not broke it doesnt need fixing. Microsoft are just thinking about their own pocket $$$$$.... and the consumer is the bunny rabbit. Anyone who upgrades to window 8 is just a bunny rabbit... thinks that we are in the year 50,000. Just about every piece of technology comes with faults and scores of complaints from consumers. Software and hardware need to be redesigned from the ground up so consumers get what they pay for. Not some bullshit advertisement to tell you that "if you buy this it will do this this and that"... then when you purchase the product it doesnt do any of what the advert says. Just a merry go round and time waster of trying to work out how to continue your daily activities on a PC or laptop. You need to study and possible go to school just to use some technologies today(for the consumer)

If society keeps hopping to the beat of these companies... then these companies will keep giving you the carrots your all asking for.

Monkey see monkey do.

Bru62

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
I agree with the last several posts. I started using Windows 8 with Consumer Preview. Then I went to Release Preview. Finally I bought it for $40 + tax with a girlfriend's credit card. (A gift). A week or two in, I tried to enter the BIOS because I had some hardware problems (older custom-built computer) and needed to configure some boot and display options. Then I hit the brick wall of the UEFI! This system will not let you go backwards or install other operating systems, even on other partitions. With the e-mail login in Windows 8 -- this gives Microsoft Geeks complete control of your computer and personal communications data. They are just creating jobs for themselves by making everything more difficult and inaccessible to user control and change.

It's finally time to learn Linux! :hello:

Micheal_57, I can't take anyone's post series, when it's serious, not series. Series is like a TV show. Serious is what I can't take your opinion when you can't spell basic words of the English language.

You start off saying you're a "serious" gamer, then rant about Microsoft wanting money and nothing about why you don't like Windows 8 or how it impacts your "serious" gaming abilities.

At least give a gaming valid reason why you don't like it, and just don't rant on about money and bunnies.

junten

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

the reason is unfriendliness to user, and forcing it on to users that don't want it. You want to buy a computer and start working with it, not learning from the beginning how to work with this ***!!!
in my opinion Win8 interface is for tablets only! It is irresponsible to force it on people.

kevinh32789

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

After a dozen hours of failed attempts at the installation of 7Pro over an 8 machine (HP ENVY8t-1440), I have definately figured out the way to disable secure boot. Can you help me figure out the additional steps you mentioned: "disable UEFI and switch to traditional bios as well as doing the same for the bootable discs in the bios settings,

TuffGuy

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
From what I have read here there seems to be a major point being overlooked. A good deal of the responses here are from Windows 8 fanboys with their OMGs at anyone wanting a different OS on their computer and telling us how good it is and such.
Well you know we still live in a free society and personal choice is just that. Whatever OS someone wants to use is totally irrelevant and totally personal choice. The point being overlooked is - who are Microsoft to deny the privilege of personal choice to consumers. If I want to buy a computer and put a version of Linux or Windows 7 or whatever that is my choice. How is it legal for Microsoft to take ownership of ALL computers, desktops and laptops, and say you MUST ONLY have Windows 8 on this device???
Windows 7 is a current and hardware supported OS and if it is my choice then I should be allowed to install my fully legitimate and paid for OS on my device. Say I had a lightning strike which destroyed my computer and I buy a new one to which I want to install my previously backed up information?
Personally I HATE Windows 8. I do not wish to relearn (after 25 odd years) EVERYTHING, I do not like the boring interface with its monocolour tiles, I do not like how they have removed functionality, I do not like how EVERYTHING has been changed to look like it was just done for the sake of it, I do not want to have to pay for applications that once were part of Windows, I do not want to be bombarded with stupid ads every time I open an application. In fact I don't even like it on phones or tablets, I prefer Android on these, I just hate the Metro look period.
At the end of March this year I want to purchase a new laptop and now I have to waste an inordinate amount of time trying to work out how to get around Microsoft and Windows 8 rubbish. So we now have shops running out of Windows 7 laptops and also not maintaining stocks of Windows 7 for those who still want it.

Install classic shell, and done. PC boots to the desktop automatically, you get a start button, and you basically have Windows 7 that will get better and faster updates, be supported longer and by newer hardware. I bought and installed Windows 8 because I run a business and I know customers were going to be coming in sooner or later with Windows 8 machines and I didn't want to not know how to use it or navigate it, so I had no choice really. I haven't used or seen the metro interface in 2-3 months since installing classic shell, I use it like a normal Windows 7 pc.

The Don

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

ok look i have a brand new asus laptop with windows 8 and have had it for a month, it has a touch screen it has the whole nine yards i paid a lot of cash for it. i expect to get some usability from my laptop but windows 8 has made my experience with my new laptop suck. i have an iPhone i don't need another smart phone to figure out, i need a powerhouse that is quick and easy to use. so fan boy #1 please shove it

rweiler2010

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

What do you mean "tradition bios"? Is that the same as "Legacy"?

ArdvarkMaster

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

I noticed that if you right clicked on executables, say for a game, some have an option to select a default gpu.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.