How do I downgrade to Windows 7 from a Windows 8 laptop?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xfallenz38x

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
I just ordered and received a MSI GE70 0ND-213US.

I ordered a day too late because the Windows 7 model became discontinued and had to pay $70 more to get the Windows 8 model. I am trying to install Windows 7 professional off of a USB formatted at FAT32. I created it using an old ISO and the Microsoft USB booter tool.

There are two partitions, OS_Install and DATA. OS_Install currently has Windows 8. I want to install on DATA so I don't void my warranty.

I have disabled secure boot, tried booting from the USB and clicking on the "setup" application in Win8 from the USB. Either way I end up on the "Starting Windows" and haven't gotten any further. I tried updating the installation files to fix that, but it got error "0x0" and couldn't update them.

I have no idea what to do now. I am open to any suggestions on what to do to fix my currently installation method, but I am also open to any other was of installing Win7.

Thanks in advance

Solution
If you have Windows 8 or or upgrade to it, it allows you to downgrade to Windows 7 Pro. You must disable secure boot in PC settings, then go into bios and disable UEFI and switch to traditional bios as well as doing the same for the bootable discs in the bios settings, then download the windows 7 install.iso from the microsoft site and use the microsoft windows 7 dvd tool to burn the .iso to a DVD or bootable USB stick. You must delete all the existing partitions on your drive and create new ones as the windows 8 and windows 7 ones aren't compatible. Make sure you burn your Windows 8 restore discs first or you'll lose the ability to go back to Windows 8 in the future if it ever becomes useful. Once you install Win7, you might have to...

Claudia Deafmute

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

Very well said! Completely Agreed. Windows I is the biggest slop after Windows Vista. It's a poor attempt to promote whatsoever touch screen ability. Those tiles take up space and they are NOT Apps!! They are suck and unfriendly to use. And the Start Menu is gone and forcing you to fumble around to know where to start a program! A waste of time that is Windows 8. Hope Microsoft realize that this Windows 8 is affecting their sales NEGATIVELY as most people hate it!

Thank you for posting to a thread over a month old to add nothing to it but agree with someone else and bash Windows.

Stakeout

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013

5 minutes... I don't think so.. Win 8 is a horror story.. have to make 4 moves in Win 8 to do the same in one move on Win 7 .. waiting for Win 9 to come out to wipe out Win 8.. a disaster!

gots

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013

windows 8 is a totally invasive operating system. I hate it. I want to go back to 7 and no I am not close minded... I just like my privacy without all these stupid apps invading my space! Dam scary doing my banking with all these pre installed apps on here and don't tell me they are safe!

gots

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
I am not close minded about windows 8 I just like my privacy on my laptop! with all these pre installed apps it is crazy! I want windows 7 back as well. I hate using my computer to do banking with all these apps on here. Don't tell me nobody is collecting any information from these. That is bs and we all know it. I had to purchase an old laptop with 7 on it just to continue to do my personal stuff like banking etc! sad how invasive this world is getting. I would love an answer to how to down grade as well. Not interested in smart a** responses thanks just some help would be nice! I won't bother with smart a**es. Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.