How Do I Edit My Commercial DVD's??

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Hi, I'm not a bootlegger, I am a big fan of horror, kung-Fu and Star
Trek though, and I'm trying to put together some compilation-type
DVD's using different scenes from different movies (and possibly
putting different music over some of it later, but that's anohter
post..)

I know how to extract DVD's (using DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink, etc)
to my hard drive, which results in a few big .VOB files

What is the easiest way to do basic editing here, can I edit the
..VOB's directly, without any type of conversion? I am trying some
shareware that claims that, but I'm getting errors and/or app doesn't
like my files

If I do need to convert to MPEG2 or AVI or somehting, which is
preferable, and will it be lossy or not when I convert back to .VOB
for burning?

any simple shareware for any of this (I'm not ready to buy a decent
editing suite yet, if I don't have to.

I don't need to create menus or do anything fancy, just string a bunch
of scenes from different movies together that'll play back on a DVD
player.

I've been checking places like Doom 9 and it has been a great help,
but I haven't been able to answer these specific questions, so thanks
in advance

STRATEGY

Bay Way 41510 wrote:

> Hi, I'm not a bootlegger, I am a big fan of horror, kung-Fu and Star
> Trek though, and I'm trying to put together some compilation-type
> DVD's using different scenes from different movies (and possibly
> putting different music over some of it later, but that's anohter
> post..)
>
> I know how to extract DVD's (using DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink, etc)
> to my hard drive, which results in a few big .VOB files
>
> What is the easiest way to do basic editing here, can I edit the
> .VOB's directly, without any type of conversion? I am trying some
> shareware that claims that, but I'm getting errors and/or app doesn't
> like my files
>
> If I do need to convert to MPEG2 or AVI or somehting, which is
> preferable, and will it be lossy or not when I convert back to .VOB
> for burning?
>
> any simple shareware for any of this (I'm not ready to buy a decent
> editing suite yet, if I don't have to.
>
> I don't need to create menus or do anything fancy, just string a bunch
> of scenes from different movies together that'll play back on a DVD
> player.
>
> I've been checking places like Doom 9 and it has been a great help,
> but I haven't been able to answer these specific questions, so thanks
> in advance
>
> STRATEGY

Use DVD2AVI.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

<posted & mailed>

Bay Way 41510 wrote:

> Hi, I'm not a bootlegger, I am a big fan of horror, kung-Fu and Star
> Trek though, and I'm trying to put together some compilation-type
> DVD's using different scenes from different movies (and possibly
> putting different music over some of it later, but that's anohter
> post..)

Doing that is a felony in the USA. Further more, Americans aren't permitted
to provide instructions on how to do it, and posessing or distribution
software that can do it is also illegal.

> I know how to extract DVD's (using DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink, etc)
> to my hard drive, which results in a few big .VOB files

Tsk. Tsk.

> What is the easiest way to do basic editing here, can I edit the
> .VOB's directly, without any type of conversion?

I don't know of tools that will do it, but you can easily extract the MPEG2
stream out and edit that.

> I am trying some
> shareware that claims that, but I'm getting errors and/or app doesn't
> like my files
>
> If I do need to convert to MPEG2 or AVI or somehting, which is
> preferable, and will it be lossy or not when I convert back to .VOB
> for burning?

That depends. If you splice on GOP boundaries, you won't see any problem
PROVIDED that all of the clips have the same parameters (GOP size, number
of I/B frames, etc.). If they don't, everything will nee to be rerendered
and you will loose some quality.

--
remove .spam from address to reply by e-mail.

:
[...]

TMPGenc is perfect for the job, the program allows you to edit
the VOB file or the program will transfer the VOB file into an MPEG
file which is quicker to edit. The program tells you how much space
you have to play with so you can make a full length dvd. You don't
have to convert to mpeg but it makes editing faster, it's just an option.

When Finished you need a burning program like Nero, an OEM copy
is very cheap.

Matt

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

I believe you can do this with DVDShrink, too. Just rip the multiple DVD's
and then choose the "reauthor" mode in DVDShrink and you can pick your
titles from anywhere on the PC. For more info see www.doom9.net .
---
Tony

James McIninch <james.mcininch@comcast.net.spam> wrote in message news:<c6Zdc.4709$_K3.25683@attbi_s53>...
> <posted & mailed>
>
> Bay Way 41510 wrote:
>
> > Hi, I'm not a bootlegger, I am a big fan of horror, kung-Fu and Star
> > Trek though, and I'm trying to put together some compilation-type
> > DVD's using different scenes from different movies (and possibly
> > putting different music over some of it later, but that's anohter
> > post..)
>
> Doing that is a felony in the USA. Further more, Americans aren't permitted
> to provide instructions on how to do it, and posessing or distribution
> software that can do it is also illegal.
>

> > I know how to extract DVD's (using DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink, etc)
> > to my hard drive, which results in a few big .VOB files
>
> Tsk. Tsk.
>

> > What is the easiest way to do basic editing here, can I edit the
> > .VOB's directly, without any type of conversion?
>
> I don't know of tools that will do it, but you can easily extract the MPEG2
> stream out and edit that.
>

> > I am trying some
> > shareware that claims that, but I'm getting errors and/or app doesn't
> > like my files
> >
> > If I do need to convert to MPEG2 or AVI or somehting, which is
> > preferable, and will it be lossy or not when I convert back to .VOB
> > for burning?
>
> That depends. If you splice on GOP boundaries, you won't see any problem
> PROVIDED that all of the clips have the same parameters (GOP size, number
> of I/B frames, etc.). If they don't, everything will nee to be rerendered
> and you will loose some quality.

GOP Boundaries?

Thanks,
STRATEGY

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

"trappeduser" <trappeduser31@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:<4079d44d$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>...
> "Bay Way 41510" <ikeyp510@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:284d5f0d.0404101012.6ae26a32@posting.google.com...
> : Hi, I'm not a bootlegger, I am a big fan of horror, kung-Fu and Star
> : Trek though, and I'm trying to put together some compilation-type
> : DVD's using different scenes from different movies (and possibly
> : putting different music over some of it later, but that's anohter
> : post..)
> :
> : I know how to extract DVD's (using DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink, etc)
> : to my hard drive, which results in a few big .VOB files
> :
> : What is the easiest way to do basic editing here, can I edit the
> : .VOB's directly, without any type of conversion? I am trying some
> : shareware that claims that, but I'm getting errors and/or app doesn't
> : like my files
> :
> : If I do need to convert to MPEG2 or AVI or somehting, which is
> : preferable, and will it be lossy or not when I convert back to .VOB
> : for burning?
> :
> : any simple shareware for any of this (I'm not ready to buy a decent
> : editing suite yet, if I don't have to.
> :
> : I don't need to create menus or do anything fancy, just string a bunch
> : of scenes from different movies together that'll play back on a DVD
> : player.
>
> TMPGenc is perfect for the job, the program allows you to edit
> the VOB file or the program will transfer the VOB file into an MPEG
> file which is quicker to edit. The program tells you how much space
> you have to play with so you can make a full length dvd. You don't
> have to convert to mpeg but it makes editing faster, it's just an option.

Thank you! I will try it. I figured out how to do it with DVD
shrink actually, but this sounds like it may offer more flexibility

STRATEGY

"Tony S" <nospam@thanx.not> wrote in message news:<FY-dnWrroI5Ca-TdRVn-uQ@comcast.com>...

> I believe you can do this with DVDShrink, too. Just rip the multiple DVD's
> and then choose the "reauthor" mode in DVDShrink and you can pick your
> titles from anywhere on the PC. For more info see www.doom9.net .

Thanks Tony, you sure can, I figured it out yesterday before I read
this :)

Not only that, it let's you edit the VOB down to smaller chunks. I've
been able to make several edits from one movie, by re-editing the same
big file over and over and saving a different scene/part each time

Thanks to everyone whoi responded..

STRATEGY

"Bay Way 41510" <ikeyp510@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:284d5f0d.0404131002.9e7fc3e@posting.google.com...
: "trappeduser" <trappeduser31@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:<4079d44d$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>...
: > "Bay Way 41510" <ikeyp510@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:284d5f0d.0404101012.6ae26a32@posting.google.com...
: > : Hi, I'm not a bootlegger, I am a big fan of horror, kung-Fu and Star
: > : Trek though, and I'm trying to put together some compilation-type
: > : DVD's using different scenes from different movies (and possibly
: > : putting different music over some of it later, but that's anohter
: > : post..)
: > :
[...]
: >
: > TMPGenc is perfect for the job, the program allows you to edit
: > the VOB file or the program will transfer the VOB file into an MPEG
: > file which is quicker to edit. The program tells you how much space
: > you have to play with so you can make a full length dvd. You don't
: > have to convert to mpeg but it makes editing faster, it's just an option.
:
:
:
: Thank you! I will try it. I figured out how to do it with DVD
: shrink actually, but this sounds like it may offer more flexibility
:
:
: STRATEGY
:
:

I use TMPGenc, cloneDVD and dvdshrink, all three are useful for
all kinds of authoring, formatting ETC.

Matt