Question How do I emulate specific hardware when running a VM?

olafec

Honorable
Aug 4, 2015
I have a W2003 R2 server that needs to be taken off the networks, but we have vital software and configs that will only run on our instance of 2003R2.

A thought was to emulate the hardware in VM on a modern PC - install software, and copy the files to the VM. We've looked at a bunch of VM software, but dont see anywhere (or on the net) that we can emulate specific processors/memory/Mobos.

Could someone shed some light on what is and what is not possible? Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
VMs are intentionally hardware agnostic. License key values are usually related to MAC addresses. You should be able to override MAC addresses for your VMs. Is your software tied to a processor ID rather than a MAC address That is the only situation where the underlying hardware should matter.

Here is an article on how to spoof CPUIDs in VMWare for example -- http://vknowledge.net/2014/04/17/how-to-fake-a-vms-guest-os-cpuid/

You will have to figure out what specific hardware your licenses are tied to then see if there is an article on spoofing that value.

olafec

Honorable
Aug 4, 2015
Thanks for the reply - the program is also tied to the GPU and memory as well.. its research software, so im not surprised. I was just under the impression that any piece of hardware could be "installed" in a WM with the right settings. Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the reply - the program is also tied to the GPU and memory as well.. its research software, so im not surprised. I was just under the impression that any piece of hardware could be "installed" in a WM with the right settings. Thanks!
GPUs and VMs are tricky. You may want to just move the GPU to the new host and then assign it to a VM. Memory is an easily configurable resource for VMs.