[SOLVED] How do I enable 240hz on a GTX 960 4Gig?

Feb 22, 2022
I know this is stupid, especially at 1440p but I want to at least drag some windows at incredibly high speed to see what my life would look like when I upgrade.
But whenever I go into system settings, I only see 60, 120 and 144 options, even though I have a odyssey g7 connected with a DP cable, and it even says that 240 is working in the included monitor menu.
Ok, to be honest, it's connected with both a DP and an HDMI cable which creates another virtual monitor, to which my cursor drifts off sometimes. Is that a part of the problem? Can it negatively affect performance?

The reason I used both, is because the first time I connected the DP they included in the box, I got horrible flickering that almost looked like static, which then became the problem of the monitor not even showing anything, and then it magically fixed itself when I connected HDMI, and stayed fixed even when I reconnedced DP and switched to it in settings. No idea what that was, maybe it's because I tried plugging the cord in while the monitor and PC were both on the first two times.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Are you sure by having both ports connected that you're using DP and not Hdmi? Common flickering from DP is usually bad cable.

Not sure if that monitor can do 240Hz in 1440p with Hdmi. Try another DP cable, max 2m. Club3D are certified Vesa cable.

Feb 22, 2022
The GTX 960 shipped with DisplayPort 1.2, which doesn't support 1440p 240Hz. You can try upgrading to DisplayPort 1.4 via https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, even after doing that and even disconnecting my HDMI cable, so I only have DP left, and switching to 1.4 in monitor settings, it still only shows 60, 120 and 144 options in Nvidia control panel and in all other places where you can change the refresh rate. Well, aside from the monitor software that always showed 240hz without it actually being the case.

When I tried to create a custom resolution in the control panel and set it to 1440p 240hz, I just got a black screen that forced me to restart.
Technically there are 720x576 240hz resolutions in the advanced settings menu, but that's really not what I was looking for.

Could it be the included DP cable not being up to spec? Would be weird for a 600$ monitor that advertises 240hz, so I never suspected it.

Feb 22, 2022
Are you sure by having both ports connected that you're using DP and not Hdmi? Common flickering from DP is usually bad cable.

Not sure if that monitor can do 240Hz in 1440p with Hdmi. Try another DP cable, max 2m. Club3D are certified Vesa cable.
I disconnected HDMI, and I still don't see the 240 hz option.
Do you think it could be the DP cable's fault? Cause all the flickering stopped after a couple of restarts and hasn't resurfaced again yet.

Feb 22, 2022
Update: I set it to 234hz in custom settings and it works fine! Thanks for the 1.4 tip, don't think it would've worked otherwise. Sad that I'll probably never see that framerate, even Dusk doesn't really get up there, despite low-ish GPU and CPU (i5-4460) utilisation, but I'm still happy with the results.

Feb 22, 2022
Ok, nvm that either, Vsync was eating half my framerate, it does actually get up to 240 fps. Judjing by the noise though, it probably shouldn't be doing that all too often :D

Goorath

Honorable
Jun 5, 2016
Sorry but generally going 240Hz with gtx 960 sounds as a stupid idea to me.. there is no way the gpu can reach 240FPS cap in any title (well it can but you'll need to drop all settings to low and set 1600:900 or lower the resolution)

Feb 22, 2022
Sorry but generally going 240Hz with gtx 960 sounds as a stupid idea to me.. there is no way the gpu can reach 240FPS cap in any title (well it can but you'll need to drop all settings to low and set 1600:900 or lower the resolution)
Sure, I know it is, but as I said, it's more of a proof of concept and a way to make browsing the web prettier.

And, as it turns out, Dusk can actually run at 240hz 1440p on a gtx 960 in some areas, so here's that.
After all, no reason to not enable it since I already have the monitor.