Question How do I encrypt my router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021
Hi,

Currently I have an ASUS RT-AC51U router that I am using at Uni.

It is directly connected to the ethernet port to provide Internet.

I have currently set the router to WPA2-Personal for wireless but unable to use WPA2-Enterprise because I don't know how to connect my device to it.

So my question(s) is how do you encrypt data going out (upload/request), and connect to a WPA2-Enterprise wireless network.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
a vpn will encrypt your connection from the device to the vpn server.

wpa2-personal is plenty of protection for the wireless side of it and the vpn will still encrypt the traffic once it leaves the device.

for a shared connection like you have a vpn is a must and not really that expensive. avoid anything free though as they are still looking to make money and will sell all kinds of fun data they gather on you.

Ralston18

Titan
Current connectivity (line diagram) being:

Uni wired network ---> Ethernet wall jack/port in your room-----> Ethernet cable to RT-AC51U ~~~~> Wireless to your WPA-2 Enterprise device.

Correct? If not feel free to correct my line diagram.

What is that target device?

This router?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC51U/E9422_RT_AC51U_Manual.pdf

Physically numbered pages 48-50.

However do be sure that the University allows what ever device connection(s) you are attempting to make.

You could get into trouble if you are violating or attempting to workaround some security measures.

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021
Current connectivity (line diagram) being:

Uni wired network ---> Ethernet wall jack/port in your room-----> Ethernet cable to RT-AC51U ~~~~> Wireless to your WPA-2 Enterprise device.

Correct? If not feel free to correct my line diagram.

What is that target device?

This router?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC51U/E9422_RT_AC51U_Manual.pdf

Physically numbered pages 48-50.

However do be sure that the University allows what ever device connection(s) you are attempting to make.

You could get into trouble if you are violating or attempting to workaround some security measures.

Hi, thank you for your reply.
The diagram you have drawn is correct.

Currently I am unable to connect my phone to the router when its in WPA2-Enterprise Mode. At least I do not know how to find the relevant details to establish a connection. I'll see what I can do after watching some videos later.

As for the purpose of the router, I wanted to have an ethernet extender to allow wired connection for both my PC and laptop. I also want it to encrypt all my data that is being sent out, unlike a VPN where only data being sent to me is encrypted (?)

Why do you want to use enterprise mode as mentioned above it is much more complex to configure and designed for large companies where a single shared passwords is not secure. The actual encryption is identical...ie wpa2.

The encryption is only done on the wifi. Once it gets to the router the encryption is removed and it is sent to the university network unencrypted. You would need a vpn on the router to encrypt it over the university network.

A important note is most your traffic is likely already encrypted all the way to the server. Almost all traffic uses HTTPS so it is encrypted. You can in addition use encrypted DNS option in your browser or pc to prevent spying on the site name looks ups.

Reactions: VERSION_1583
Status
Not open for further replies.