Question How do I extend my 8 pin ESP?

Dec 16, 2019
I bought a new case and and a new motherboard. The case in question is much bigger than my previous one and the 4+4 CPU power supply male part can't reach the female counterpart on the opposite side of the mobo.

Any way I can extend the 4+4 or do I need a new PSU? I've got free MOLEX connectors if that is of any help.

I've been searching for 3 hours now and I can't seem to find a solution.

Dec 16, 2019
Thanks so much. I've been searching for the completely wrong thing.

Just to clear up: 4+4pin and 8pin are essentially the same? There is no problem to insert my 4+4m into the 8pin extension?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
* Also to seperate the difference between the 6+2pin pcie. The mains and the EPS are almost always a pain to get seated fully, due to heavier duty pins that don't want to spread, so there's always the temptation for beginner/first time replacers to think they have the wrong connector and actually try jamming the pcie in instead. Which will have anything from no results (good psu protections) to disastrous results (junk psu shaped objects). So having a 4+4, especially ones labeled CPU or EPS can help circumvent that stupidity.

Dec 16, 2019
* Also to seperate the difference between the 6+2pin pcie. The mains and the EPS are almost always a pain to get seated fully, due to heavier duty pins that don't want to spread, so there's always the temptation for beginner/first time replacers to think they have the wrong connector and actually try jamming the pcie in instead. Which will have anything from no results (good psu protections) to disastrous results (junk psu shaped objects). So having a 4+4, especially ones labeled CPU or EPS can help circumvent that stupidity.
This explanation and the ones above are really helpful since I'm relatively new to this (only plugged in RAM a couple of times).
I'm being really careful not to fry anything for Christmas.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Should let you know as well that PSU pin arrangements across different brands/models aren't standardized and not always the same. Semi/modular PSUs where you physically connect cables to the PSU to power devices whether it be Sata, GPU, CPU etc is wise to use only the cables the PSU comes with. Extender cables are fine.

Many have used spare cables accumulated over the years and regretted it soon as the power button was pushed.