Question How do I find out if my motherboard has the right slot for an nvme upgrade?

Dec 27, 2019
Upgrading memory and hard drive but crucial only suggests ssd. How can I tell if nvme is an option? I don't know how to check for an m.2 slot. Haven't done much since upgrading a 7 year old laptop for my kid last year and failing miserably so I'm apparently a dinosaur in knowledge now eek.

Dec 27, 2019
It should say on the motherboard's page, another thing you have to know Is that If you're going to buy an NVME M.2 That they have a different chip end. NVME uses PCIe x4, these are faster than normal x2, but these m.2's usually cost a bit more. Whilst Normal M.2 use PCIe x2, these are usually your cheap m.2 drives, there fast but if your going to buy one an SSD will also do the trick. It should say which one your motherboard is compatible within specifications.
(is mostly incorrect.)

About checking for m.2 slot, Go to your motherboard on its website, and check Storage interface, this will tell you if you have an m.2 slot and use what I said above to know if its x2 or x4, and then buy what you need. This could also be in Expansion Slots.

(Correct me if I'm completely off, New to all this, but I like to think I have a decent idea on what I'm doing.)

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
It should say on the motherboard's page, another thing you have to know Is that If you're going to buy an NVME M.2 That they have a different chip end. NVME uses PCIe x4, these are faster than normal x2, but these m.2's usually cost a bit more. Whilst Normal M.2 use PCIe x2, these are usually your cheap m.2 drives, there fast but if your going to buy one an SSD will also do the trick. It should say which one your motherboard is compatible within specifications.

About checking for m.2 slot, Go to your motherboard on its website, and check Storage interface, this will tell you if you have an m.2 slot and use what I said above to know if its x2 or x4, and then buy what you need. This could also be in Expansion Slots.

(Correct me if I'm completely off, New to all this, but I like to think I have a decent idea on what I'm doing.)
That whole first paragraph is mostly incorrect...:confused_old:

Dec 27, 2019
Thanks. I'll just grab an ssd then. Although last time I tried to migrate an os to one I failed. I didn't know about this place then though so I feel more confident I can get it this time ;)