Question How do i find out what causes input-lag & delay ?

Oct 26, 2021
i got the problem that my pc troubleshoot in games like bf 2042, bf 1 and modern warfare, the problem that happens ist that the movement freaks out , when i push keys fast after another the movemnt is out of hand i walk left and the player moves forward, or lag in movent an i cant go left even if i push left. the the mouse is blocking when im in ads and move / aim to one point its just get stuck ihave to move it to the other side then and it works again that doesnt happen steady but pretty often . i tried everythiung i testet usb ports with us meter, i bought new ram, because my cpu was in the limit sometimes ..

my system is a
mainboard: asus prime z270k
prozessor: intel 7700k
ram: gskill ripsaw 3200hz 16 18 18 36
drives: 870 evo samsung ssd sata
corsair mb 600 pcie ssd

Oct 26, 2021
my system ...
mainboard: asus primez270k
cpu : intel 7700k
ram: gskill ripsaw 3200 mhz 16 18 18 36
graphic: nvidia 1070 ti gigabyte gaming edition
drives:
ssd samsung 870 evo sata version
corsair mp600 pcie 3.0/4.0
an old hdd with 1. tb

in multible games i like bf 2042 ,bf 1 modernwarfare 2019 i have the problen that my input is out of controll sometims i push a key and it doesent even regcongnize it , then soemtimes i move left by pushing the left button , then pushing the button for right mowe ,but the player is still moving left. When im follow a enemy in ads the mouse sometimes stuck and i cant move it like its blocked or something. that hapens not all the time putt pretty often ichecked everything from usb by usb tester to cpu . almost every benchamrk tool checked the i checked burn in test , other microsoft test and it didnt found anything . coult i be a problem with my internet provider but idont get input lag / paketloss symbols in bf 1 and 2042 in mw i often have atches where the paket loss goes from 15 to 20% but thats random and only for the match im in the next one is fine. maybe 1 thing i think it coud be trigger is 1 or 2 years ago i wanted to change something on the pc while it was working and hit the psu plug and a lightning came out but everything worked fine somehow only my dlan was up so i had to buy an new psu it think that could be the reason but idont really know

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any heavy tasks running in the background ?
Do you have an anti virus program being too aggressive ?
Do you have other old spinning hard drives ( you mention an old 1TB HDD) that might be spinning up causing system lag ?
Are your games only on SSD, not on HDD ?

Oct 26, 2021
No th
Do you have any heavy tasks running in the background ?
Do you have an anti virus program being too aggressive ?
Do you have other old spinning hard drives ( you mention an old 1TB HDD) that might be spinning up causing system lag ?
Are your games only on SSD, not on HDD ?
No there aren't any programs in back round only Nvidia control.pannel and a few gaming launcher from start up. The games I play are all on ssd. No the hdd didn't cause lag. I changed ram from 2133 hz 2x8gb to 3200hz 2x16 GB but had some issues before and don't know if this could cause the input lag because the system has stable frame times and frames now. I haven't tried changing the ram back again. But I noticed something different in mice behavior as I turned away the 3xpower supply... (Don't know the word in English) connector from next to the pc to a point 1 meter away. No I don't have any anti virus... I have only windows defender

Ralston18

Titan
GPU?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? Heavy use for game playing, video editing, or even crypto-mining?

My immediate thought is that the PSU may no longer be able to keep up with demands at peak wattage levels.

Use the Task Manager and Resource Monitor tools (use both but use only one at a time) to observe system performance.

Open the applicable tool window and let the system stabilize then drag the observation window to one side.

Open and play a game while observing what changes: i.e., what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Do not jump to any immediate conclusions: try different games and under varying circumstances to identify some constant factor that can be associated with the system (mouse/keyboard) behavior that you have described.

Try to learn more about the problem.

Oct 26, 2021
GPU?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? Heavy use for game playing, video editing, or even crypto-mining?

My immediate thought is that the PSU may no longer be able to keep up with demands at peak wattage levels.

Use the Task Manager and Resource Monitor tools (use both but use only one at a time) to observe system performance.

Open the applicable tool window and let the system stabilize then drag the observation window to one side.

Open and play a game while observing what changes: i.e., what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Do not jump to any immediate conclusions: try different games and under varying circumstances to identify some constant factor that can be associated with the system (mouse/keyboard) behavior that you have described.

Try to learn more about the problem.

its an rm 650x from corsair ....
the only thing that uses all his resources is the prozesssor while gaming ... its load is at 80 -100 % in games bf5 has almost 100% bf 2042 round about 85 - 100 modern warfware to when i play groundwar thats the reason why i bought the 3200mhz ripsaw 16 18 18 36 ram because i read about it will give a maxed out cpu more performance an thats what it actually did my gpu is maxed out at 95- 100 % all the time but my cpu is now hotter then before it reaches about 70- 80 degreesbefor it was about 65 -75 ram is now usage around10k to 15k but i have 32k now so thats shouldnt be a problem . i reseted my dsl modem today and it seem abit better but idont think that could be thje issue the mouse begins to block ...
one thing i did not tell 1 or 2 years ago iwanted to plug in something the usb port and i hit the psu plug and it gave a lightning ... but back then everythings seemed fine i only had issues with dlan which wouldnt work pretty good while the computer was turned on. but i bought the corsair than and it worked. dlan was well again

Ralston18

Titan
How old is that Corsair RM650X? 2 years or more and has had heavy use for gaming - correct?

Remember that PSU's provide 3 voltages (3, 5, and 12) to different system components. A problem with any voltage can cause multiple and varying system problems.

Do you have access to another known working PSU that you can swap in?

Or perhaps own a multi-meter and know how to use it. Or know someone who does?

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU very suspect.

Oct 26, 2021
Don't know how to check this if it works well but I think it should bought it half year ago... Changed the ram and the delay is gone but there is some issue with changing ram on this board... It just don't start normally after changing ram I become black screen without bios and after 3 or 4 restart atemt it loads some secure bios which I can enter with f 1 after that the ram and the PC is working but this happens every time I change ram and don't think that is well for the bios or Mainboard musst be some failure but this was also as I build the pc first