[SOLVED] How do I find out what spellchecker I'm using?

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019
The spellchecker I have now is absolutely terrible (but, at times, hilarious) I want to get rid of it and get the best one possible. If you know about this kind of thing, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I noticed that about auto correct myself. IT might only work in certain apps.

this shows how to reset it in FF, not sure if that help

Try to reset the dictionary and spellcheck related prefs on the about:config page.

You can check for problems with preferences.
Rename or delete the prefs.js file and possible numbered prefs-##.js files and a possible user.js file to reset all prefs to the default value.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/967628#:~:text=Try to reset the dictionary,on the about:config page.&text=You can check for problems,Rename...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know which one you are using but here is how to disable it in win 10. Which software is it in?

Well, to turn it off on WIn 10 you go to settings/devices/Typing
Under spelling, turn off either
  • Autocorrect misspelt words
  • Highlight misspelt words
Now Its also possible its in the browser you use as well, as I know Chrome will do it.
Word also has spell check but apart from swapping the keyboard language, I don't think you can change it with custom versions.

Irony is my spellcheck is now underlining mispelt as it wants me to swap it to misspelled... it thinks Windows can't spell.

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019
I don't know which one you are using but here is how to disable it in win 10. Which software is it in?

Well, to turn it off on WIn 10 you go to settings/devices/Typing
Under spelling, turn off either
  • Autocorrect misspelt words
  • Highlight misspelt words
Now Its also possible its in the browser you use as well, as I know Chrome will do it.
Word also has spell check but apart from swapping the keyboard language, I don't think you can change it with custom versions.

Irony is my spellcheck is now underlining mispelt as it wants me to swap it to misspelled... it thinks Windows can't spell.

I have autocorrect on in windows 10, but none of the misspelled words have ever been auotcorrected...I'm using the Firefox browser, so that might be the culprit. Given the massive importance of words, you would think a top-quality spellchecker would have been created decades ago.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I noticed that about auto correct myself. IT might only work in certain apps.

this shows how to reset it in FF, not sure if that help

Try to reset the dictionary and spellcheck related prefs on the about:config page.

You can check for problems with preferences.
Rename or delete the prefs.js file and possible numbered prefs-##.js files and a possible user.js file to reset all prefs to the default value.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/967628#:~:text=Try to reset the dictionary,on the about:config page.&text=You can check for problems,Rename or delete the prefs.

Last edited:
Solution
I have autocorrect on in windows 10, but none of the misspelled words have ever been auotcorrected...I'm using the Firefox browser, so that might be the culprit. Given the massive importance of words, you would think a top-quality spellchecker would have been created decades ago.

There has been, every English class teacher. The web browser does not use your Windows spell checking. I don't know about auto correcting words when typing in a web form, usually it just highlights misspelled words. Of course it does not help if you use the wrong word that is spelled correctly.

TRENDING THREADS