Question How do I fix “cant detect bootable device”?

Nov 23, 2021
Hey so I just upgraded my cpu to a R7 3700x from a r5 1600af and also my motherboard from a b450 to a x570, after i booted the system everything was normal until the sytem forces me into bios as I don’t have a bootable drive. My hdd was regconised but not my ssd. I’m pretty sure there’s nothing wrong with the ssd as well since it was working just fine in the old system. I have a Nvme m.2 ssd. I tried to change the csm, legacy and uefi settings but I still couldn’t get it to boot into window 😭 sometime it would just says “install a bootable device and reboot...” and send the msg over and over if i press a button. The strange thing is the pc doesn’t detect the nvme at all in the bios like unlike what I expected these problem to be however it is working fine in the old system. If i try to reinstall window will it even allow me to install it on the m.2 ssd or would it just not allowed me at all since I can’t find the ssd in bios at all? Pls help :<

Last edited:

jasonf2

Distinguished
There are a number of issues that you could be having, assuming that the old ssd is functional. First off though what form factor is the SSD? Is it running on SATA, PCIe slot or M.2? If it is M.2 make sure that you are putting it in the correct slot. Many boards have multiples, but due to PCI lane restrictions only the first can be used without disabling other hardware. If everything is ok there check the boot order in bios. You may not have the correct drive in the boot order. If running sata and it still isn't working I would try a different cable. I have had issues in the past with used cables.

Hey so I just upgraded my cpu to a R7 3700x and also my motherboard to a x570, after i booted the system everything was normal until the sytem forces me into bios as I don’t have a bootable drive. My hdd was regconised but not my ssd. I’m pretty sure there’s nothing wrong with the ssd as well since it was working just fine in the old system. I have tried to change the csm, legacy and uefi settings but I still couldn’t get it to boot into window 😭 sometime it would just says “install a bootable device and reboot...” and send the msg over and over if i press a button. Pls help :<
With a new cpu and mobo it is very likely you will need to reinstall the OS.

Nov 23, 2021
There are a number of issues that you could be having, assuming that the old ssd is functional. First off though what form factor is the SSD? Is it running on SATA, PCIe slot or M.2? If it is M.2 make sure that you are putting it in the correct slot. Many boards have multiples, but due to PCI lane restrictions only the first can be used without disabling other hardware. If everything is ok there check the boot order in bios. You may not have the correct drive in the boot order. If running sata and it still isn't working I would try a different cable. I have had issues in the past with used cables.
Hey, thank you for the suggestion. The ssd is a nvme m.2 that been used for around 5months and are reletively new. I have tried it on every slot aswell, non of them were able to recognise the ssd :(

Nov 23, 2021
Check your manual and slot it correctly, usually only one will work. Then go to bios and see if it shows up in boot order as an option. Select it and move it to the top.
Hey all the connections is correct I’m pretty sure and i have tried it on different slot as well. The wierd thing is it can’t detect my ssd at all. Nothing show up in the nvme config in bios

TRENDING THREADS