How do I fix GTA V from suffering random FPS drops/stuttering - Please Help me

fabimetal

Reputable
Oct 12, 2018
Hello, since I got GTA 5 I've been suffering from random fps drops no matter what I'm doing at the game (My character can stand still and even though the fps will drop and go back to normal). Since then, I, also, have been trying to solve this, tried different solutions, but nothing has worked. Normally, playing with high and very high graphics, I get 60-70 FPS but at random moments it goes down to 25-12 FPS, then it goes back to normal and repeats randomly. It's really annoying, I can not continue like this, please help me. I really need to fix this.

My laptop is the HP Omen 17 with these specs:

- Intel Core i7-6700HQ (4 cores, 8 threads processing)

- GTX 965M

- 16Gb RAM

- 2TB HDD and 120Gb SSD

All drivers are updated.

Once I ran GTA with the MSI AfterBurner and I noticed that when the FPS drops the Mhz of the clocking CPU drops all the way down to 8 or 1, and, honestly, I don't know how to fix that, or if that is causing the problem. Also, just to consider, I activated Office programs with KMSpico, I don't know if that can affect games but I just mention it just in case.

The CPU temperature while playing reaches a maximum of 73° C.

Every suggestion is welcome, please help me, I've been suffering for almost a year and today I decided to post this here. Also, GTA 5 is the only game where this drops/stutters happen. Any other games I play, like Rainbow Six Siege, Call Of Duty, Overwatch, etc. run just fine, with constant fps (R6S was the only game which also suffered from fps drops but I solved that really easy and quickly).

Thanks in advance.

Have you checked your CPU temps? It sounds like your CPU is thermal throttling, which is a common occurrence on gaming laptops because they can't get enough airflow to effectively cool the CPU. If you dont' have a cooling pad for your laptop you should get one. You can also elevate your laptop so more air can flow underneath.

I'm not sure why the other games would run fine, other than GTAV is a CPU intensive game. So maybe it puts more load on the CPU than the others. You can actually use MSI Afterburner to monitor CPU temps while in-game.

Apr 7, 2018

Man, we're in the same boat.
I have the same issues.
Check my thread:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3681322/fps-drops-stuttering-high-end.html

fabimetal

Reputable
Oct 12, 2018

Hi. Yes I've checked my CPU temps and I think they're kind of normal. The max temp, when running GTA 5 and other games, is usually 73°C. I will try to elevate my laptop and see if it helps, thanks for that suggestion.

PS: Sorry for answering too late, notifications never appeared until today lol.

Thank you