[SOLVED] How do i fix my 4870's monochrome output?

Lag_behind

Reputable
Feb 29, 2016
Bought a used 4870, I have an svideo to component adapter, and i'm only getting a monochrome output. Using the latest driver available for it on windows 10. If going back to an older OS is going to fix the issue, thats fine, but i'd like to avoid it if possible but prefer to stay on 10. It could be my adapter, it came with an nvidia card, not even sure which one. I cannot get the adapter to connect through composite, though component works fine, i don't have an svideo monitor/tv to test it. But whether i have it at 1024x768 or 800x600 i get no color and i can't open the catalyst control center, it doesn't allow it to be opened because "nothing can be configured" from within it.

Solution
That card is so old that not only is it a wonder it's still working, but it lacks any official Windows 10 support at all. If you wanted to get this working then you'd likely need to use Windows 7. That card requires CCC and I'm fairly certain, almost positive, that Catalyst control center is not supported in Windows 10.

What kind of system is this attached to, because it would be a far less painful process to simply buy a low end modern card that is compatible with Windows 10 than it would be trying to deal with the issues related to that 11 year old card unless you're willing to go backwards onto an operating system that will be end of life and have no further support three months from now when support for Windows 7 ends. It just...
That card is so old that not only is it a wonder it's still working, but it lacks any official Windows 10 support at all. If you wanted to get this working then you'd likely need to use Windows 7. That card requires CCC and I'm fairly certain, almost positive, that Catalyst control center is not supported in Windows 10.

What kind of system is this attached to, because it would be a far less painful process to simply buy a low end modern card that is compatible with Windows 10 than it would be trying to deal with the issues related to that 11 year old card unless you're willing to go backwards onto an operating system that will be end of life and have no further support three months from now when support for Windows 7 ends. It just isn't worth it. I'd chalk it up as a loss and get a newer card. Even a basic entry level card will have better performance than that old power hog anyhow.

Solution

Lag_behind

Reputable
Feb 29, 2016

What kind of system is this attached to, because it would be a far less painful process to simply buy a low end modern card that is compatible with Windows 10 than it would be trying to deal with the issues related to that 11 year old card unless you're willing to go backwards onto an operating system that will be end of life and have no further support three months from now when support for Windows 7 ends. It just isn't worth it. I'd chalk it up as a loss and get a newer card. Even a basic entry level card will have better performance than that old power hog anyhow.
I actually had a 1060 3gb in it already. Im using it for an arcade machine and need composite output. I used a windows 8 driver that was available for it and over dvi, everything works fine. I'll throw in another drive and install 7 onto it and see if that fixes the issue

Then it may simply be a faulty card which you purchased and may be the whole reason why the person who sold it stopped using it originally in their system to begin with. That's the only suggestion I can make that makes any sense. I can't find any other reason why you'd be seeing only monochrome unless you have not configured one of the settings correctly in display properties.

Lag_behind

Reputable
Feb 29, 2016
Figured it out, it turns out that the tv just didn't want to cooperate with me on the project, switching to my main tv with composite input lets me see, some very over-saturated colors, however this will only be for a few light-gun games and i'll be playing mostly over a projector so it isn't an issue.

TRENDING THREADS