Question How do i fix my external drive issue?

Jun 10, 2020
When i format my drive it makes me do it twice before its usable it also shows up twice once in my os drive and once on its own when i instal to drive(its an external ssd) it also installs ,to the on inside my os so it shows up on both yet it takes up the space of my os drive and not the external ssd) also it shows up as local disk d and not seagate external drive which is how it shows up when i plug it into my xbox where it was last used to hold games.
Annotation_2020-06-09_204927.png

thats what it looks like on the first format . any help to resolve this issue is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

When i format my drive it makes me do it twice before its usable it also shows up twice once in my os drive and once on its own when i instal to drive(its an external ssd) it also installs ,to the on inside my os so it shows up on both yet it takes up the space of my os drive and not the external ssd) also it shows up as local disk d and not seagate external drive which is how it shows up when i plug it into my xbox where it was last used to hold games.

thats what it looks like on the first format . any help to resolve this issue is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
Can you post a picture of your Disk Management ?

Jun 10, 2020
The Locak Disk G showing up twice on the File manager screenshot is normal Win10. C: only shows up under 'This PC' along with the other drives but then it will list the other drives individually in their own section as well.
ahh okay thanks for letting me know but how about the issue where it uses the space on drive c and not drive d the one i want it to

Jun 10, 2020

thats what it looks like on the first format while i cant use it
i tried doing a not quick format but it sat all night and day stuck at 58%
Annotation_2020-06-10_182939.png

Jun 10, 2020
skip the full format, something is up with the drive.
install Crystal info and post the screenshot. I'm thinking we will find a bunch of failed sectors.
skip the full format, something is up with the drive.
install Crystal info and post the screenshot. I'm thinking we will find a bunch of failed sectors.
Annotation_2020-06-14_092015.png

thats what i got if its failed sectors then thats weird bc i used it on my xbox before and it worked fine for years

Jun 10, 2020
Ya, the issue is because of the bad sectors on your drive. Now, as you fully formatted the drive, hope you didn't lose any of your important data and you keep the backup before formatting the drive.

If the drive consists of a lot of bad sectors it may turn the drive as RAW drive and once the drive becomes RAW it becomes inaccessible.
thankfully all the date on this drive was just video games from my xbox which i deleted so i dont mind if it keeps erasing stuff but how can i fix the bad sectors and get my drive working? ive tried full formats and it always comes back raw

TRENDING THREADS