How Do I Fix My Headphone and Microphone Jacks?

Icaraeus

Honorable
I have a Fractal Define Design R4 and I realized that when I plugged in a pair of headphones to use in the headphones jack they weren't working. I'm assuming it has something to do with the HD Audio cable that is at this time not plugged into anything on my computer's motherboard but, assuming that's what I have to plug in, I don't know where it goes.

IEP8VP6.png

My motherboard is an ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M. The headphones apparently work as my family tested it with one of the various PCs I have scattered around my house, but it puzzles me why they weren't working. I'm getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's soon and they connect via a audio headphone jack so I'm wondering how I can fix the jacks.

Solution
Yeah you just roll it over. Easy. See how the attached cables on the PSU are farthest away from the hole on the case for them and it looks weird? Well they are supposed to be right next to the hole and will be when the PSU is installed properly.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
GAxkp6.png

Edit:

Whoops wrong board.....It's to the left of your PCI-E top slot. Also below and to the right of the rear audio ports.

2nd Edit

I highlighted it.

But it looks like your video card is covering it slightly, might have to do some creative routing of the cable.

Icaraeus

Honorable
By the looks of it that would mean I'd have to somehow slot it underneath the GPU, which I have no idea how to do. Last time I checked, I think the HD Audio cable is hidden on the other side of the case where all my cables are hidden (or at least I tried to hide them - this is my first build). How would I connect it? Would this necessitate the removal of the GPU?

Any ideas on how I could route it? I'm kind of new to cable management and routing and all that stuff.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Considering the length of the cable is probably minimal there aren't many neat ways to route it, I'd say plug it in and either go over or under the GPU (near the PCI-E slot close to the motherboard). You'll have to kinda lay the wire at a 90 degree angle after its plugged in to keep the wires out of the GPU's way.

And yes the GPU will have to be unseated to plug it in.

And your picture stopped showing up.

Icaraeus

Honorable
My headphones now work with the front (and I'm assuming back, but haven't tried the back) headphone audio-in port thingy, thanks. I connected it this way:

u6mzpUE.jpg

It took me ages to figure out how to actually take out the GPU as I had no idea where the PCI-E release switch was, finally figured it out. Didn't have to do any wire twisting to plug it in as my case has a convenient wiring hole right above the PSU, and it fitted nicely between a gap between the motherboard and the frame of the GPU's cooler.

Icaraeus

Honorable

I don't think the GPU is starving for air, at least I think it isn't. The maximum temperatures for my GPU are 64 degrees on a stress test even after overclocking. Also I'm not sure how to flip the PSU - after disconnecting everything would I just pull it towards me and then flip it over and slide it back?

Yeah you just roll it over. Easy. See how the attached cables on the PSU are farthest away from the hole on the case for them and it looks weird? Well they are supposed to be right next to the hole and will be when the PSU is installed properly.

Solution