[SOLVED] How do I fix my new PC?

EnvyDaniel

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014
Hello, I recently got a PC from my nephew. It has a 1080 gpu, a i7, 16gb of ram and its alll liquid cooled. He got a new PC for his grad gift so he gave me his old one. It seems to be really good, I looked up the parts and this kid did not cheap out on anything haha.
My main question is how do I optimize this PC? It seems really slow. The only thing I have added to it was my 2 TB hard drive of pictures (im a photographer) I also wanted to start PC gaming too and he said that its built for it.
I was looking into the system files and there is some files that say AMD and GTX but the CPU is Intel and the graphics card is Asus. I feel like that is making the thing slower. I use lightroom to edit my photos and even when im using lightroom the RAM and CPU temps are really high. Also its said its using 56 percent of the ram and all I have open is Google chrome and spotify.
Im kind of new when it comes to build computers. I just feel like it should be preforming at a higher level. He told me the hard drive (1 TB) that is currently in it is also from his first PC (a cheap build he build his freshman year of college)
I feel like the fact that the hard drive still has files from nvida, gtx, amd that it is slowing the speed down.
Should I just delete alllll the files that arent related to the current Asus and intel files? or should I just put all my pictures back onto the 2 TB hard drive that only has my pictures, then reset the whole system?

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED, OR ANY PROGRAMS YOU RECOMMEND TO GET THIS BABY BACK TO TIP TOP SHAPE
OR anything I should upgrade or purchase too.

Solution
I suggest getting an SSD for windows. Put a fresh install of windows on it. Your boot time and overall windows preformance will be much faster. Erase and partition the HDD then you can use the HDDs for all your files and pictures. Just keep the SSD as the OS and programs if you can.

SSD example:
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-240...ld=1&keywords=250gb+ssd&qid=1590708778&sr=8-4

Look at the background processes in task manager and see what is eating up the RAM. You should replace that fan that you have to flick on. If you can I would replace the thermal paste on the CPU because I am sure its dried up and old. That will help with your temps.

EnvyDaniel

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014
I forgot to add the fact that out of the 3 fans on the liquid cooler, only 1 turns on the others I have to flick with my finger in order to get going.
the boot up time is maybe a minute or two.
the power suply is 650w

I suggest getting an SSD for windows. Put a fresh install of windows on it. Your boot time and overall windows preformance will be much faster. Erase and partition the HDD then you can use the HDDs for all your files and pictures. Just keep the SSD as the OS and programs if you can.

SSD example:
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-240...ld=1&keywords=250gb+ssd&qid=1590708778&sr=8-4

Look at the background processes in task manager and see what is eating up the RAM. You should replace that fan that you have to flick on. If you can I would replace the thermal paste on the CPU because I am sure its dried up and old. That will help with your temps.

Solution
If you do reinstall windows and clear the contents of the drive, you should keep your photo drive disconnected during that process to avoid accidentally deleting it's contents though. : D

It sounds like that system has some pretty fast components, though if he just tossed in a drive from a different system without reinstalling windows, there might be some misconfiguration going on.

EnvyDaniel

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014

SSD example:

thank you, the main thing eating up my RAM is google and skype but skpye isnt even open. I ordered that SSD.

EnvyDaniel

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014
If you do reinstall windows and clear the contents of the drive, you should keep your photo drive disconnected during that process to avoid accidentally deleting it's contents though. : D

It sounds like that system has some pretty fast components, though if he just tossed in a drive from a different system without reinstalling windows, there might be some misconfiguration going on.

thank you, I have windows 10 on a USB that I will install on it, ill install it after I finish clearing everything