How Do I Fix My Packet Loss?

Yung Stupid

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
So, for the past 2 Weeks I've called my ISP 6+ times and they have sent a technician 3 times. The first time a technician came out it seems he only replaced a chord, the 2nd time they replaced my router, the 3rd time he ran tests and said we was going to replace a pin. At first they could see the packet loss on their end but now it is supposedly fixed although on my end it is still the same amount of packet loss as 2 weeks ago. So I believe I can eliminate my ISP from being the cause. So what is my next step to fixing this packet loss? Btw I get the same amount of packet loss on both my computers even if 1 is unplugged.

Solution
Have you made sure you aren't utilizing your whole bandwidth?
Check with only one device on the modem.
Do you have big uploads or downloads running?

Packetloss is normal when you are maxing it.
That's just how TCP works.
is the router and cable modem one part or is there two a modem and a router?? on cable modems log into the modem check the signel strength make sure it withing cable modem spec. with cable modem data loss and noise can come from old splitters not made for cable modems that are blocking the signal. also the tech should have check where the line comes into your home make sure it clean and tight. also look at the number of tv and splitters. the cable modem should be on the first split. did anyone unplug the tv and cable boxes to make sure nothing was back feeding??? did any of the tech try another dns server like open dns or google to see if it was a local hardware or dns issue. also is the firmware on the cable modem if it a cable modem up to date?? also is the modem you have new or old. newer modems now needs for the max cable modem speed.

Yung Stupid

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017

It is a modem router combo thing. Just one part

USAFRet

Titan
Your ISP is not yet off the hook.
Years ago, I had a similar issue with my former cable provider. It would die completely, 3-4 nights in the week.
All parts from the neighborhood junction box all the way to my screen were changed.

At one point, I had 3x service trucks and a supervisor out here.

It eventually turned out to be an upstream box that was dying, due to temp and humidity.

If it is happening on multiple systems at the same time, it is either the modem/router, or outboard of that.

Yung Stupid

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017

Internet company says they get no packet loss on their end when pinging my internet. So what am I supposed to do? I can take my PC to my grandmas and see if i still get packet loss there, although it wouldnt solve much since my grandma is my neighbor. If I took my PC to her house and didnt get packet loss then I would know the issue is within my house. But if I still get packet loss it could be my PC or the ISP.

Yung Stupid

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017

The internet isnt completely shutting off, Im just getting 10-100% packet loss every about 5-10 seconds. Makes gaming VERY difficult

USAFRet

Titan

I get that.
Logs....It may be internally in your house. It may be their equipment.
It may be whatever server is handling your game.

But you can't "fix it", until you've discovered what "it" is.

Yung Stupid

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017

What do I do to determine what 'it' is.

USAFRet

Titan

Keep a log of as much data as you can.

When, what, where...
Maybe a pattern will appear.

Like..does it only happen between the hours of X and Y?
Or does it only happen when doing Z?
Is it "every" 10 seconds exactly? Or is that a guess?
More than one system at the same time?

Knowing the data can help lead to a cause, which can help lead to a fix.

Yes, this is how we do troubleshooting.

Yung Stupid

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
And I can tell you, when multiple devices are connected the packet loss gets more frequent and higher % loss. Not exactly every 10 seconds but I havent gone longer than 20 secs without a packet loss in 2 weeks. Its nonstop so the time of day doesn't really matter. Any device connected so far from what I have seen will get packet loss. Also I just tried running a ping test both to my own IP and to Google, I get 100% packet loss, why is this? Ping -t google 100% packet loss no matter how long I let the test run

USAFRet

Titan

And that is valuable verifiable data.

Also, instead of just ping, run tracert. This may show where the packet loss is happening.