[SOLVED] How do I fix my PC randomly turning off, only when GPU is inserted

Jan 4, 2020
CPU: i5-4460

MotherBoard: MSI ms-7846

RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR3 Kingston

HDD: TOSHIBA DT01ACA100

GPU: Palit GTX 1050Ti

My power supply is 500W offbrand

I recently dropped my PC. It still turns on and works normally, except it randomly turns off (no shutdown message, its as if the power went out) and sometimes the display goes black or blue or white with audio still going on normally. I tried removing the GPU and it stopped turning off randomly, when I put the GPU back again it still turns off randomly. When I inserted the GPU it wasn't loose, it stays in place.

Solution

That, is your most likely problem. Especially since you dropped it. I'd replace that first and go from there. There COULD be an issue with your graphics card as well, because of being dropped, but given the fact that you have a cheap PSU that is where I'd be inclined to start. Chances are good that with the card in the load is simply too much for the PSU to handle due to being low quality AND whatever might have been done to it when it hit the ground.

That, is your most likely problem. Especially since you dropped it. I'd replace that first and go from there. There COULD be an issue with your graphics card as well, because of being dropped, but given the fact that you have a cheap PSU that is where I'd be inclined to start. Chances are good that with the card in the load is simply too much for the PSU to handle due to being low quality AND whatever might have been done to it when it hit the ground.

Solution
Jan 4, 2020

I used another psu that is still offbrand but with higher wattage, it actually solved the problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

Good deal. So now, I'd REALLY recommend, that if you would like your hardware to last, that you replace that with a quality unit. Low quality power supplies pretty much universally have high levels of ripple and noise, and poor voltage regulation, and all of those things can damage your hardware including the capacitors on both your motherboard and graphics card by basically cooking them to death. The result of that is generally a much shorter lifespan for those components.