Question How do I fix my PC shutting down when playing games

May 19, 2019
No BSOD and no warning. Only shuts down when playing games and doesn't reboot like i've seen in other threads. Specifically Mordhau. Had this issue before with other games, but they disappeared after optimising my games by turning down settings and updating drivers.

Not an overheating issue either, my temps are normal. GPU and CPU were at 60 degrees celcius right before my PC shut down automatically.

Specs:
MSI B350 Tomahawk
MSI 1060 6gb
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (Stock Cooler)
2x8 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws
Mastercooler v650 650W
Kingston 120 gb SSD
Seagate 2 tb HDD

hopsteriam

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
Windows 10 has trouble with some of my games as well. Try compatibility mode as Windows 7 and running as Administrator. Or Reinstall windows 7 to another SSD and dual boot depending on whether you are gaming or not. Not sure what else it could be apart from memory errors. Try running Ram at lower standard speed instead of XMP (If you are running at XMP) Use Memtest or another ram testing software to see if you have memory errors, Benchmark using Prime 95 or another demanding test. See if it crashes in benchmarks to rule out the game as the culprit. Look on Mordhau forums for others with the same issue and how they solved it if they have. Out of other things to suggest for now but there are a few things to try.

May 19, 2019
Windows 10 has trouble with some of my games as well. Try compatibility mode as Windows 7 and running as Administrator. Or Reinstall windows 7 to another SSD and dual boot depending on whether you are gaming or not. Not sure what else it could be apart from memory errors. Try running Ram at lower standard speed instead of XMP (If you are running at XMP) Use Memtest or another ram testing software to see if you have memory errors, Benchmark using Prime 95 or another demanding test. See if it crashes in benchmarks to rule out the game as the culprit. Look on Mordhau forums for others with the same issue and how they solved it if they have. Out of other things to suggest for now but there are a few things to try.
Benchmarked everything and couldn't find a solution. Finally i tried to clean my cpu fan and replaced the old thermal paste, and maxed out speed on the CPU fan. Seems like my PC shuts down at 70-80 C for some reason. At least I haven't crashed since.

Thanks.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You shouldn't have to run your CPU fan at full speed all the time. It appears there is a problem elsewhere. But it can be problematic locating it. Do you feel it is the 70-80C temps that triggers the shut down? Or just a coincidence that it happens at those temps?
Do you have access to another 450W+ PSU that you can use to test with? It wouldn't have to be swapped out, just temporarily wired into the system in place of the one you have installed.

Reactions: hopsteriam

hopsteriam

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
You should be able to up the shutdown temp in the bios but that is only if you want to. No clue what is causing the problem from me but upping the shutdown temp could keep you powered up longer. Suggest borrowing another power supply as suggested above if a mate will help you out.
Maybe you are over doing it with the thermal paste? Or not enough? Youtube videos can help with how much is ok and too much/ not enough.