[SOLVED] How do i fix my problem with high ping?

toshibs2002

Honorable
Jun 19, 2018
Hello im currently having a problem with high ping.First of all it isnt present whole day it happens only on eveening hours somewhere around 7-11 pm.It started happening 3-4 months ago.I contacted my IPS few days ago but they couldnt provide any fix for this issue.The ping normally goes between 40-70 while playing games like league of legends or csgo.But the ping during those hours skyrockets to 200-300 and game becomes unplayable!So mu question is as mentioned in title how do i solve my problem?

Solution
You can't just run a simple trace and think you are done. The one you included does not show the problems you complain about. All this trace shows is you are likely in a different country than the google.com.

You need to keep testing until you find the problem.

If the first couple hops stay in the 20ms range then it is not likely a issue in your ISP. What can you possibly do if the problem is between 2 ISP in another country.

Your only "option" which most people do not have, is to change the ISP that provides the connection to your house. You hope that they have a different path through the internet. If both ISP share the same connectivity there is little you can do. It is like a couple years ago when 2 main fibers were...

toshibs2002

Honorable
Jun 19, 2018
Im connected with my router using an ethernet cable.During that hours nothing really happens mostly my parents watching tv being on the phone etc. Nothing that could potentially issue that big of a ping since before those 4 months when it started happening everything was going preety much the same way.

Ping to some end device means very little. It could be many things including that the server you are ping is overloaded. You need to do better testing to try to locate the problem.

You might find it with a tool called path ping but you have to be very careful to not be mislead by the results.

Other wise the best method is to do this manually. You want to run tracert to some ip. Then leave constant ping run to various hops in the trace. Hop1 and hop2 tend to be the only ones you can realistically do anything about. If you see spikes to hop 1 it is something inside your house either you pc or your router. It would be extremely rare on a ethernet cable. If hop 1 is good and you see issues with hop 2 it represents a issue with the connection between the ISP and your house. Be extremely sure that no other traffic is running. You will always get long ping times if you are using 100% of the bandwidth you purchase from the ISP. If you are really sure about your traffic call the ISP and see what they have to say. Most times they only care about packet loss not high ping times.

If the problem is beyond hop2 it becomes very hard to get fixed. The farther you get into the trace the more likely it is not even in your ISP network.

toshibs2002

Honorable
Jun 19, 2018
Here is what i found out i did use pathping in command prompt and in result it gave me 3 hops first one was my router and it was 0ms.While second hop was showing 130 ms.I did it once more and it was showing that it is 20 ms while tests on google prove diffrent it shows that it goes well over 200-300 as said in first test i used the command: pathping www.google.com

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
So if you type "ping google -t" and let it run for a while, what ping do you get? You are getting 0 Ms to your gateway and then, out in the internet, it's going in the hundreds? If that's the case, there's not much you can do. You can, for the most part, basically control your LAN, to your ISP. But that sounds fine. It's behind that where you're having the issue. Just make sure you can get to your ISP with low latency, that's all you can control (besides getting a better ISP if that's an option?).

toshibs2002

Honorable
Jun 19, 2018
Okay here is what i got i did TRACERT www.google.com and when it finished it showed those hops:
1st 1ms router
2nd 20ms
3rd 20 ms
4th * * * Request Timed out
5th 92ms
6th 97ms
7th 83ms
8th 99ms
9th 160ms

So what shall i do is the problem with the esp or something with my hardware or maybe even faulty router even tho i heard that faulty router only issues the speeds not the ping.

You can't just run a simple trace and think you are done. The one you included does not show the problems you complain about. All this trace shows is you are likely in a different country than the google.com.

You need to keep testing until you find the problem.

If the first couple hops stay in the 20ms range then it is not likely a issue in your ISP. What can you possibly do if the problem is between 2 ISP in another country.

Your only "option" which most people do not have, is to change the ISP that provides the connection to your house. You hope that they have a different path through the internet. If both ISP share the same connectivity there is little you can do. It is like a couple years ago when 2 main fibers were cut to egypt. It pretty much took down all the ISP in the country.

Solution

toshibs2002

Honorable
Jun 19, 2018
Yes it does happen in the eveening but the thing that is concerning me is that,how did this start happening just a couple months ago.When i look behind the internet was awesome for the timebeing for my uses around 8-9 years of me using it...
Fortunatelly i have option to change ISP there is 3-4 more options in my city but im worried by the fact that all those other ISPS are bought by one company recently the one that is currently my ISP so they probably have the same routes if not would it fix it?