[SOLVED] How do I fix overheating a cpu?

May 26, 2020
My cpu (i7-6700k) has been hitting 100 degrees C. I know that's terrible. I just reapplied thermal paste and no change. I figure I have to buy a new cooler but I'd like to see if there are any other ideas out there.

May 26, 2020
I reapplied the thermal paste and ran it. I was dumb and didn't plug in the fan correctly but now it's fine and running. so far I'm not hitting 100 C but it is hovering around 90 C while idle and with the sides of my case off. Unless you think there is still something salvageable, I think I'm just going to get a new cooler.

May 26, 2020
Yeah I think I'm going to. I'm planning on getting a new CPU regardless. Do you know if the wraith cooler that comes with a lot of the ryzen CPUs is good enough or if I should look into getting a better one?

Yeah I think I'm going to. I'm planning on getting a new CPU regardless. Do you know if the wraith cooler that comes with a lot of the ryzen CPUs is good enough or if I should look into getting a better one?
Yeah the wraith cooler is good enough for the basic user that's why they include it in the box and sell it to the customer. If your going to be doing a lot of gaming, and other intense tasks, then i suggest getting a 3rd party cooler or AIO.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Oh wow. No wonder. The TT Silent 1156 is a twin heatpipe, 92mm cooler that basically equivalent to the stock Intel cooler in everything except noise. Which means it's designed to keep an i5 3470 decently cool, but doesn't stand a chance against a i7-6700k and it's hyperthreaded workloads.

Considering your idle was so high, the first thing to come to mind is a busted pushpin not holding pressure on one corner, and temp readers only report the hottest core temp, not the temp of the entire cpu or every core individually unless you specifically look for that. So you could have 3 cores at 50 and 1 core at 100, and thats all you'll see.

Switching to amd will mean new mobo/cpu at a minimum, and new ram if you are using skylake 2133MHz ram and not at least 3200MHz ram