How do I fix "reboot and select proper Boot device or insert media and select boot device or press a key" error?

OriginalOukus

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
How do I Fix "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot media in Selected boot device or press a key"
So I finished my build had Windows 7 and everything was going well, then I decided to upgrade to Windows 10, now every 20-30 minutes I'm on the computer I'm on the computer I get a black screen with white words that saying "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot media in Selected boot device or press a key"
I read that you have to go to the bios and switch the hard drive has main priority, I don't really know how to do that its kind of confusing, I'm not sure if I did it right, I posted pictures with the links below of my BIOS, just wondering if you guys could tell me which one to switch if I did it wrong. And I'd there another way to fix this? Like could I just reset my computer to factory settings and keep all files or fully factory reset ? My motherboard is
970A DS3P GIGABYTE Motherboard.

PICTURES
http://imgur.com/a/9KgjN

Solution
Can you download that USB tool from another PC and make a bootable USB stick? When you start the PC, you should see something about boot options, hit that key (like F11 or F12 maybe) depending on the mobo. Select that USB stick and reinstall Windows (I'd delete all partitions on the boot hard drive you see) and then hit Next to install Windows 10. Note, if you do this you WILL lose all data on the hard drive. I'm only suggesting this because it sounds like a fresh install and upgrade to Windows 10 that confused your boot files. Your BOOTMGR is messed up. If you were to delete all partitions on your new drive, reinstall (straight to Windows 10) register your Win 7 key when you need to register 10, I think you'd be back in business.

If...

mavrick88

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
I haven't seen this problem "while running in Windows" but I have when you boot up the PC. That's set usually by just going in the BIOS like you did and changing your boot drive (like you did). I see your DVD drive is your 1st boot. Do you have a CD/DVD in there? Do you have a USB stick or something like that still plugged into your PC?

What should happen is even if it's your 1st boot, it should skip it and go to the next one and go into Windows automatically since your 2nd boot is your HDD.

You may not want to go through Windows installation again, but I would have just installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 instead of 7 and then upgrading to 10. Windows 10 will allow you to use a Windows 7 key. If it doesn't work during the installation, skip it and do it after you get into Windows 10. It will ask for activation and a product key and you can use your 7/8/8.1 key.

You can download Windows 10 USB tool here for free and create a bootable install USB stick that will install Windows 10 with a fresh copy (if you want).

OriginalOukus

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016

mavrick88

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Can you download that USB tool from another PC and make a bootable USB stick? When you start the PC, you should see something about boot options, hit that key (like F11 or F12 maybe) depending on the mobo. Select that USB stick and reinstall Windows (I'd delete all partitions on the boot hard drive you see) and then hit Next to install Windows 10. Note, if you do this you WILL lose all data on the hard drive. I'm only suggesting this because it sounds like a fresh install and upgrade to Windows 10 that confused your boot files. Your BOOTMGR is messed up. If you were to delete all partitions on your new drive, reinstall (straight to Windows 10) register your Win 7 key when you need to register 10, I think you'd be back in business.

If you can't lose data, you need to look up repairing your BOOTMGR. There are MANY good articles about it.

Solution