How do I fix the built-in wireless adapter on my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2018
I have a newer laptop with a built-in wireless adapter, but recently it has only been able to connect to certain wireless hotspots. The servers show up, but the adapter quickly drops the connection. When I ran diagnostics on the network connection, the troubleshooter found a problem with the wireless adapter, but didn't fix it. What can I do?

Solution
If you think it is the adapter almost all can be replaced. Some are easier than others. The simple ones you remove a cover on the bottom, the hard ones sometime you must do a lot of dis assembly.

If you look though the manual it will likely tell you what part number it uses. There may be multiple if they offer different speeds.

Almost all use the same physical socket. Used to be laptop makers like HP would bios lock them so you could only use their cards but that is not as common. The one thing to be careful of if you plan to upgrade is the number of antenna connections. The antenna connections are also very standard but if you laptop only has 1 antenna and the card needs 2 to use some functions then you will have...
ok. i know you probably don't want to hear it, but I had this exact problem with my HP 15 Notebook when I first got it. I thought I had to get a new usb adapter, which I did, and it's a little faster, but, I had to do a CLEAN install of latest Win10 to get my built in one to work right. now i still use the usb, because it can get to a faster 5G source. lol

Tom's Guide to clean Win10 installs.

now my pc behaves as it should, without all the vendor software and stupid versions of stuff that apparently don't work

If you think it is the adapter almost all can be replaced. Some are easier than others. The simple ones you remove a cover on the bottom, the hard ones sometime you must do a lot of dis assembly.

If you look though the manual it will likely tell you what part number it uses. There may be multiple if they offer different speeds.

Almost all use the same physical socket. Used to be laptop makers like HP would bios lock them so you could only use their cards but that is not as common. The one thing to be careful of if you plan to upgrade is the number of antenna connections. The antenna connections are also very standard but if you laptop only has 1 antenna and the card needs 2 to use some functions then you will have issues. Although you will find people showing how to add antenna it requires taking apart the screen

Solution
Sep 20, 2018

woo thanks you very nice answer.

rgd1101

Don't
Follow the below steps to fix your built-in Wifi adopter on your laptop.

1: Use automatic troubleshooting.
2: Reinstall the wireless network adapter driver.
3: Update wireless network drivers.
4: Check and reset the hardware.
5: Perform a Microsoft System Restore.
6: Other things to try.
don't just plagiarize, cite the source

https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c03535285

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS