How do i fix the Cyclic Redundancy Check error on my External Back Up Hard Drive

Zangestu1563

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
when ever i copy file onto my hard drive a (delay write failed) error pops up, and although most of the time my files seem to be file and install with little interruption and when i try to copy the files from my HD to my PC the process is stooped by a (cyclic redundancy error). is my HD useless and needs to be throne away? or is the hope for my 6oo buck investment?

nyterage

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
first what you need to do is have windows scan the disc for errors, to do this go into the my computer screen, right click on your external hard drive and select property's. from there press the tool tab on the top and click error-checking, this will scan the drive for possible faulty sectors and other such things. next would be to check the S.M.A.R.T status on the hard drive.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
It's quite expensive but SpinRite - http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm is one of the few programs that can detect and try to fix any errors on a hard drive (long as it's not a physical/mechanical problem).

I would use Windows scan disk error checking software first and check the S.M.A.R.T data. If your talking about the $600 investment in your PC i'm sure it's fine unless your having an issue with that as well. It sounds like it's your external that is having the problems.