Question How do I fix this internet connection issue?

May 20, 2022
First, a bit of a background on this issue. Two identical PC builds. Same parts 100%, running Windows 10. Both are connected to what is supposed to be 1Gbps internet via Cat 8 cables. I'm running an ASRock Z390 Taichi, with the default network card that's built in. To make a long story short, one PC runs 850+ Mbps, the other (mine) runs just 180 Mbps. I'm not on a VPN. Windows Tuning is disabled. I made sure bandwidth restrictions were not active. The network adapter still says 1.0 Gbps but I am getting nowhere trying to pinpoint what is causing this. I've uninstalled anything that could be throttling via software. I need suggestions and help to get this fixed. Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 362816

Stupid to ask but have you swapped the cat cables from one to another to see if the issue follows?

You only need cat5e cables. Many of the so called better cables are likely fakes. Many have wires that are too thin to be certified as ethernet cables.

It is likely some software on the machine but finding it can be a challenge.

I would first try a old line mode program called IPERF and transfer data between 2 machines in your house. You should get 900+mbps. This will test the drivers and the cables are good.

You could also boot a linux USB image. That would confirm that it is something with the windows install rather than a hardware issue.

One of the most common causes is so called "gamer" network software that claims to accelerate game traffic. It causes all kinds of issues. It is bundled in the bloatware on some motherboards and video cards. Make sure you have nothing installed that talks about favoring certain type of traffic or QoS. One of the common names is CFOSspeed. You want to uninstall any software like this.

I see your motherboard has 2 ethernet ports do both do this. Do not try to run both at the same time that can cause all kinds of strange issues.

Maybe try to disable IPv6 that too can cause strange issues.

May 20, 2022
What are you running from to these 2 pc's? Spitter or from a router via lan ports?
I was running gigabit capable router that my ISP told me I should get a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 or something to fix the issue...it didn't fix anything. Now they're both directly plugged into the ISP's modem as they then told me that the router was the issue.

May 20, 2022
You only need cat5e cables. Many of the so called better cables are likely fakes. Many have wires that are too thin to be certified as ethernet cables.

I would first try a old line mode program called IPERF and transfer data between 2 machines in your house. You should get 900+mbps. This will test the drivers and the cables are good.

You could also boot a linux USB image. That would confirm that it is something with the windows install rather than a hardware issue.

One of the most common causes is so called "gamer" network software that claims to accelerate game traffic. It causes all kinds of issues. It is bundled in the bloatware on some motherboards and video cards. Make sure you have nothing installed that talks about favoring certain type of traffic or QoS. One of the common names is CFOSspeed. You want to uninstall any software like this.

I see your motherboard has 2 ethernet ports do both do this. Do not try to run both at the same time that can cause all kinds of strange issues.

I downloaded IPERF but have never used it before. Do you have a decent link for a guide?

I've also never attempted a Linux USB image. Would need to figure that out

May 20, 2022

So I did the Linux flash to USB and tested the connection. It was about the same, On-board network card going out maybe? It's all I can think of. Still shows Gigabit connection in the connected settings, too, but the ethernet straight up would not connect. Tested over wifi and my tested speeds were what I expected with the garbage connection I've been getting.