Question How do I format the hard drive of laptop?

May 10, 2019
The hard drive of my C55-B laptop gives "disk read error" and will not boot. I want to format and setup a different OS. All methods found online are inaccurate. Pls help

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you put in an OS USB, like Win 10, during setup you can use the advanced option to actually "see where" you want Windows to install, rather than having it pick. At the bottom will be prompts for you to delete the various partitions and start fresh with unallocated space.

Keep in mind you lose everything that way, but sounds rather like you already have.

May 10, 2019
The hard drive of my C55-B laptop gives "disk read error" and will not boot. I want to format and setup a different OS. All methods found online are inaccurate. Pls help

If you put in an OS USB, like Win 10, during setup you can use the advanced option to actually "see where" you want Windows to install, rather than having it pick. At the bottom will be prompts for you to delete the various partitions and start fresh with unallocated space.

Keep in mind you lose everything that way, but sounds rather like you already have.
Thanks, Cat. I did attempt a Win 10 restore and found the prompts
you desribed, including a format option. Also found that Allan was right - the drive was bad.