How do I get 108...

speeds from my new Netgear hardware?

I just bought an installed a WG511T PC card and a WGT624 router, both
advertised at 108 Mbps. The best I can get (according to the Netgear
software) is 36 Mbps, even when I have my laptop right next to the
router.

Is that the best that I can realistically get? Its not even the 54
that 802.11g promises.

Help?!

AFJ

In your Netgear WG511T Smart Configuration Utility, click on the
SETTINGS tab. Close to the middle of the page, you should see ADVANCED
SETTINGS. Click on it. Uncheck the box next to 11Mb 802.11b
(2.4GHz). Make sure that you leave the checkmarks intact. Now click
OK and then click APPLY. Your speed "should" and I do mean SHOULD,
increase.

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:31:34 -0400, Air Force Jayhawk
<airforcejayhawk@comcast.net> wrote:

>speeds from my new Netgear hardware?
>
>I just bought an installed a WG511T PC card and a WGT624 router, both
>advertised at 108 Mbps. The best I can get (according to the Netgear
>software) is 36 Mbps, even when I have my laptop right next to the
>router.
>
>Is that the best that I can realistically get? Its not even the 54
>that 802.11g promises.
>
>Help?!
>
>AFJ

Correction to my previous post: Uncheck the box in front of 11Mb
802.11b, but leave the other two boxes checkmarked.

"Air Force Jayhawk" <airforcejayhawk@comcast.net> wrote in
message news:801kd0lr73qo0gjl9q564fsn8nas7gn44o@4ax.com...
> speeds from my new Netgear hardware?
>
> I just bought an installed a WG511T PC card and a WGT624
router, both
> advertised at 108 Mbps. The best I can get (according to
the Netgear
> software) is 36 Mbps, even when I have my laptop right
next to the
> router.
>
> Is that the best that I can realistically get? Its not
even the 54
> that 802.11g promises.

browse to the router config page, go into Wireless Settings,
ensure Mode is set to Auto 108

P.

Air Force Jayhawk <airforcejayhawk@comcast.net> wrote in

> I just bought an installed a WG511T PC card and a WGT624 router, both
> advertised at 108 Mbps.

I hate to break it to you, but you'll never get 108mbps. If wireless could
realistically and reliably achieve such speeds then everyone would be using
wireless.

If you force your network card into pure wireless G mode you should see
some speed increase - but don't expect 108mbps... more like 40ish when
you're < 10 feet away from the AP

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:07:07 GMT, Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com>
wrote:

>Air Force Jayhawk <airforcejayhawk@comcast.net> wrote in
>
>> I just bought an installed a WG511T PC card and a WGT624 router, both
>> advertised at 108 Mbps.

>I hate to break it to you, but you'll never get 108mbps. If wireless could
>realistically and reliably achieve such speeds then everyone would be using
>wireless.

While I realize that it's a different chipset and technology, the
following review demonstrates that it's possible to get decent speeds
at a range of perhaps 6 ft.
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article59-page1.php
It's 13 pages and has quite a bit of info on how it all works. Note
that they had to switch to faster PC's in order to prevent the PC from
becoming a bottleneck.

This comparison of Super-G and Afterburner is also enlightening:
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-142-ProdID-WRT54GS-10.php

>If you force your network card into pure wireless G mode you should see
>some speed increase - but don't expect 108mbps... more like 40ish when
>you're < 10 feet away from the AP

If you read the fine print, 108 is maximum peak burst speed. Broadcom
claims 60Mbits/sec sustained thruput, which the reviewer was unable to
verify. Both G and Super-G need to slow down to a crawl every few
seconds to check for the presence of 802.11b radios (to minimize
interference) and will not recover back to higher speeds for quite a
few seconds. Your high performance race car may be capable of going
100+ mph, but that does you little good on crowded city streets.

I like the articles conclusions:

As far as the question of whether Afterburner or Super-G is "better",
the answer for many (most?) users is probably neither. The only users
who will get the maximum benefit from "enhanced" 802.11g products are
those who:

a) Are willing to buy / upgrade all parts of their wireless LAN with
products using the same enhancement technology, from the same
manufacturer

b) Make sure all parts of their WLAN are operating as the same,
latest, firmware and driver revision levels

c) Don't have any 802.11b WLANs within range

150 Felker St #D 831-336-2558
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:39:03 GMT, Doug Jamal
<unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Correction to my previous post: Uncheck the box in front of 11Mb
>802.11b, but leave the other two boxes checkmarked.
>

>On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:25:50 GMT, Doug Jamal
><unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>In your Netgear WG511T Smart Configuration Utility, click on the
>>SETTINGS tab. Close to the middle of the page, you should see ADVANCED
>>SETTINGS. Click on it. Uncheck the box next to 11Mb 802.11b
>>(2.4GHz). Make sure that you leave the checkmarks intact. Now click
>>OK and then click APPLY. Your speed "should" and I do mean SHOULD,
>>increase.
>>
>>On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:31:34 -0400, Air Force Jayhawk
>><airforcejayhawk@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>speeds from my new Netgear hardware?
>>>
>>>I just bought an installed a WG511T PC card and a WGT624 router, both
>>>advertised at 108 Mbps. The best I can get (according to the Netgear
>>>software) is 36 Mbps, even when I have my laptop right next to the
>>>router.
>>>
>>>Is that the best that I can realistically get? Its not even the 54
>>>that 802.11g promises.
>>>
>>>Help?!
>>>
>>>AFJ
Actually, another post located a setting in the router that worked
without dinking with the pc card.

Thanks though!

wrote:

>Air Force Jayhawk <airforcejayhawk@comcast.net> wrote in
>
>> I just bought an installed a WG511T PC card and a WGT624 router, both
>> advertised at 108 Mbps.
>
>I hate to break it to you, but you'll never get 108mbps. If wireless could
>realistically and reliably achieve such speeds then everyone would be using
>wireless.
>
>If you force your network card into pure wireless G mode you should see
>some speed increase - but don't expect 108mbps... more like 40ish when
>you're < 10 feet away from the AP

I know I won't from the basement, and I realize it's a burst speed
only, but I would expect the netgear software would at least show 108
when they are only 5 ft apart.

Another poster pointed out the trick...now it "shows" 108. Like you I
doubt that would hold up at reasonable distance and sustained
throughput...but at least it is now trying.

AFJ

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:06:51 +0100, "PJB" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>"Air Force Jayhawk" <airforcejayhawk@comcast.net> wrote in
>message news:801kd0lr73qo0gjl9q564fsn8nas7gn44o@4ax.com...
>> speeds from my new Netgear hardware?
>>
>> I just bought an installed a WG511T PC card and a WGT624
>router, both
>> advertised at 108 Mbps. The best I can get (according to
>the Netgear
>> software) is 36 Mbps, even when I have my laptop right
>next to the
>> router.
>>
>> Is that the best that I can realistically get? Its not
>even the 54
>> that 802.11g promises.
>
>browse to the router config page, go into Wireless Settings,
>ensure Mode is set to Auto 108
>
>P.

That did the trick!

Thanks