[SOLVED] How do I get 144hz on my Monitor?

Dec 30, 2019
I have an Acer GN246HL and I just recently got the RTX 2060 (Upgraded from the GTX 1070) on the GTX I used DVI to get 144hz but my RTX doesn't have a DVI port, it has Display Port only. My monitor doesn't take Display port, only HDMI, VGA and DVI so I got a Display port to DVI Cable and my monitor wont give me the option for 144hz, only 60hz. How do I fix this?

Solution
You need an active Dual Link DVI to DisplayPort adapter in order to get 144Hz to work with newer GPUs. HDMI is locked to 60Hz on these older monitors. These adapters tend to be rather pricey, usually costing about $100.

You may almost be better off just getting a newer 144Hz monitor that has DisplayPort on it.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I have an Acer GN246HL and I just recently got the RTX 2060 (Upgraded from the GTX 1070) on the GTX I used DVI to get 144hz but my RTX doesn't have a DVI port, it has Display Port only. My monitor doesn't take Display port, only HDMI, VGA and DVI so I got a Display port to DVI Cable and my monitor wont give me the option for 144hz, only 60hz. How do I fix this?

Most 2060's will have 3 DP and 1 HDMI. "Usually" the HDMI port is at the bottom or off to the side with the DP all lined up in a row. They look very similar at-a-quick-glance. At 1080p, an HDMI 1.4 cable will get you your 144hz.

Dec 30, 2019
Most 2060's will have 3 DP and 1 HDMI. "Usually" the HDMI port is at the bottom or off to the side with the DP all lined up in a row. At 1080p, an HDMI 1.4 cable will get you your 144hz.
I am using the HDMI Port for my second monitor, I'm just asking if I'm able to get 144hz using the cable I have now.

That monitor only supports 144Hz in 2D 'desktop' mode, not 3D mode (most new games). It also looks like it only supports 144Hz using a DVI cable.
https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/309306/acer-gn246hl.html?page=12
I don't think it's going to work at 144Hz with an adapter. You need a DVI cable (some places are saying dual-link DVI), and it will NEVER work at 144Hz in 3D games, regardless of how you set it up.

Reactions: Mrgr74
You need an active Dual Link DVI to DisplayPort adapter in order to get 144Hz to work with newer GPUs. HDMI is locked to 60Hz on these older monitors. These adapters tend to be rather pricey, usually costing about $100.

You may almost be better off just getting a newer 144Hz monitor that has DisplayPort on it.

Reactions: Mrgr74
Solution

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
That monitor only supports 144Hz in 2D 'desktop' mode, not 3D mode (most new games). It also looks like it only supports 144Hz using a DVI cable.
https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/309306/acer-gn246hl.html?page=12
I don't think it's going to work at 144Hz with an adapter. You need a DVI cable (some places are saying dual-link DVI), and it will NEVER work at 144Hz in 3D games, regardless of how you set it up.

Update: - So after typing the below, I took a look at the comments surrounding this monitor on Newegg. Just about everyone that was bamboozled into buying it, did so for the "Gaming @ 144hz" aspect, but didn't realize it was only via the DVI as mentioned above which most newer video cards no longer come with.

Interesting. I would think that advertising 144hz for gaming and then not being able to deliver would open themselves to lawsuits. It states right on their main page for this monitor. Either way, thanks for pointing that out for the OP and I stand corrected. :)

Looking through their Q&A for this monitor, I found where it did state that to reach 144hz @ 1080p it required the above mentioned DVI for 2D & 120hz for 3D.

As @Supernova1138 suggests, you may want to look into a newer & better quality monitor if you want to game @ 144hz.

Last edited:
Update: - So after typing the below, I took a look at the comments surrounding this monitor on Newegg. Just about everyone that was bamboozled into buying it, did so for the "Gaming @ 144hz" aspect, but didn't realize it was only via the DVI as mentioned above which most newer video cards no longer come with.

Interesting. I would think that advertising 144hz for gaming and then not being able to deliver would open themselves to lawsuits. It states right on their main page for this monitor. Either way, thanks for pointing that out for the OP and I stand corrected. :)

The monitor can game at 144Hz over Dual Link DVI. When you're talking about 3D when it comes to monitors, it's about stereoscopic 3D that requires you to wear glasses to create a 3D effect like at the movies. It was a big thing earlier in the decade, but 3D didn't really sell that well either on monitors or televisions, so the content that supports it is limited and 3D capable displays aren't manufactured anymore.

Reactions: alceryes

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
The monitor can game at 144Hz over Dual Link DVI. When you're talking about 3D when it comes to monitors, it's about stereoscopic 3D that requires you to wear glasses to create a 3D effect like at the movies. It was a big thing earlier in the decade, but 3D didn't really sell that well either on monitors or televisions, so the content that supports it is limited and 3D capable displays aren't manufactured anymore.

I misunderstood what @alceryes meant. :) Saw 2D & I jumped to him meaning spreadsheets & the like haha.. Bummer about 3D not taking off as Avatar in 3D was amazing. I remember watching 3D movies as a kid with the red & blue glasses.. Jaws was particularly enjoyable.. lol..

Hmmm. Is that what they meant? I misunderstood - thanks.
So the OP needs a dual-link DVI on both sides of the connection to be sure. Adapters may or may not work, depending on the adapter and which side you use it on.