[SOLVED] How do I get a HDMI to Displayport adapter to work with my ASUS TUF Gaming Laptop?

Feb 5, 2020
I am trying to get my monitor to run at at least 120hz. It is a 165hz AOC monitor. I use an HDMI 2.1 cable currently but 60hz is the highest it will go. I recently bought this from someone, and it came with the original box and cables. I use my own HDMI 2.1 cable that I just bought.

I also just bought an HDMI to DP adapter, and recently bought a HDMI to DP cable. Neither work. I get no signal. Even tried turning both off and unplugging power source for a few minutes then plugging them back in along with cables etc and turning them on. I never took out my laptop battery tho since I have to take out the whole backside.

I really just want this monitor to run at 120hz or 144. (Its a 1440p monitor). My laptop runs at 120hz. My Graphics card and other drivers are UTD. This is making me angry as i bought this crap for 200$.

I'm about to turn around and sell this crappy monitor even tho i got it a few days ago.

Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
more importantly, you may have a 2.1 cable, and your screen may be 120hz on the laptop, but the HDMI out port on your laptop may not even be 2.0 and probably 1.4
Furthermore, usually with HDMI output on laptops, the HDMI is directly connected through the iGPU for the CPU, and the way you can game on an external display is that the system performs a passthrough where it uses the dedicated GPU to do all the hard work and passes it through the CPU output. And this usually limits it to 60hz because the CPU's iGPU usually isn't designed for more than a 60fps output and the HDMI output on the laptop thusly (and also on desktop motherboards) is not made for supporting anything higher, and so they cut the costs in that department by implementing older gen HDMI connection that can just simply output what's needed for the hardware and that is 60fps.

However, it's possible that you've got one of the super expensive and nice laptops that just so happens to be implementing something better, so maybe tell us the exact make and model of your laptop and we can look into whether or not it does support newer HDMI standard and higher framerate output along with it for external displays.

Feb 5, 2020
more importantly, you may have a 2.1 cable, and your screen may be 120hz on the laptop, but the HDMI out port on your laptop may not even be 2.0 and probably 1.4
Furthermore, usually with HDMI output on laptops, the HDMI is directly connected through the iGPU for the CPU, and the way you can game on an external display is that the system performs a passthrough where it uses the dedicated GPU to do all the hard work and passes it through the CPU output. And this usually limits it to 60hz because the CPU's iGPU usually isn't designed for more than a 60fps output and the HDMI output on the laptop thusly (and also on desktop motherboards) is not made for supporting anything higher, and so they cut the costs in that department by implementing older gen HDMI connection that can just simply output what's needed for the hardware and that is 60fps.

However, it's possible that you've got one of the super expensive and nice laptops that just so happens to be implementing something better, so maybe tell us the exact make and model of your laptop and we can look into whether or not it does support newer HDMI standard and higher framerate output along with it for external displays.

It is a TUF505DU-EB74 (year 2019)

Also, it is a 2.0 HDMI port.

Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
okay, so things are a tad different with it being a Ryzen setup.
yes, as stated, you do need an active adapter. Don't just look on Amazon, try other places too like Newegg and whatnot to find exactly what you need. Be sure that whatever you get actually goes from HDMI to DP and not the other way around, and that at the very least it supports HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.4 in order to get the higher refresh rates at something like 1440p (or 1080p if that's what you got for a monitor)

But also, I urge you to also just download and install latest drivers for BOTH AMD and Nvidia since you have two different GPU's on board and since the pass through thing is most likely happening it would be best to get both.

and if you do get both, and going into Nvidia control panel doesn't offer you any options for changing refresh rate output and such, then check with the AMD control panel instead.

Feb 5, 2020
yes, as stated, you do need an active adapter. Don't just look on Amazon, try other places too like Newegg and whatnot to find exactly what you need. Be sure that whatever you get actually goes from HDMI to DP and not the other way around, and that at the very least it supports HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.4 in order to get the higher refresh rates at something like 1440p (or 1080p if that's what you got for a monitor)

But also, I urge you to also just download and install latest drivers for BOTH AMD and Nvidia since you have two different GPU's on board and since the pass through thing is most likely happening it would be best to get both.

and if you do get both, and going into Nvidia control panel doesn't offer you any options for changing refresh rate output and such, then check with the AMD control panel instead.

https://www.amazon.com/BENFEI-Displ...argid=aud-799711277694:pla-626954239437&psc=1

There's this one. Doesn't say whether or not it supports HDMI 2.0 and displayport 1.4. Gonna order it. I can always send it back. Not sure if it's active or not. Doesn't say. But if it is for laptops, it should be.

HDMI TO displayport seems hard to find.

I found some. But they're all 1440p @ 60Hz which is what i run. so they're all uselss.

Feb 5, 2020

Will an active cable work? It has a built in converter.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812746017?item=9SIA22F7AJ1601&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-cables+-+displayport+cables-_-N82E16812746017&gclid=Cj0KCQiA7OnxBRCNARIsAIW53B_yd2f3dPiTlHoJdVuM-9Le4-uD79tR9Dn3u99ssNSdtNSW19-BQr4aAlOVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

There is no such thing as an HDMI to Displayport with HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.4. Well, time to sell this monitor and return everything.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I wouldn't trust the one on Newegg since it doesn't even specify any specs about it.

This is not easy to find since most people aren't looking to adapt HDMI to DP and instead want it to go the other way around.

I've found something that looks like it'll do what you need, but it's pricey.

So you honestly have a choice right now.
First things first, get your money back for all the crap you've bought so far.

Now, can either send back the monitor and get one that has HDMI input AND supports HDMI 2.0 input for higher refresh rates

or

get this adapter for almost $70
https://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/hdmi-displayport-adapter~HD2DP

The adapter supports 1080p at 120hz which is the best your gonna get for what you're trying to do.
1440p is unknown for refresh rate support because it doesn't say anything about that resolution in the tech specs.

Feb 5, 2020
Ill order that. cant take monitor back cause i bought it off someone. I plan on saving up for an AORUS 1440p 144-165hz monitor, so theirs should support HDMI input and 2.0. But ill test the adapter and cable i just ordered. It will be here tomorrow. I never ordered newegg crap. But if this doesn work ill send everything besides 1 of HDMI back. I've sent 3 things back. For some reason, even tho i selected for them to put it back on my card. they ignored that and put it on my amazon balance.

but ill test that adapter.

1080 @ 120hz is what my laptop monitor is. and I was originally trying to do this to get better quality for a tv show ive been watching on my monitor. but my laptop looked better due to the 120hz. So i'll be satisfied with the 1080p 120hz. No monitor lists all the specs tho. Just the basics. So I wouldn't be able to find a 1440p 144hz monitor with hdmi 2.0 input. But I can try

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Ill order that. cant take monitor back cause i bought it off someone. I plan on saving up for an AORUS 1440p 144-165hz monitor, so theirs should support HDMI input and 2.0. But ill test the adapter and cable i just ordered. It will be here tomorrow. I never ordered newegg crap. But if this doesn work ill send everything besides 1 of HDMI back. I've sent 3 things back. For some reason, even tho i selected for them to put it back on my card. they ignored that and put it on my amazon balance.

but ill test that adapter.

1080 @ 120hz is what my laptop monitor is. and I was originally trying to do this to get better quality for a tv show ive been watching on my monitor. but my laptop looked better due to the 120hz. So i'll be satisfied with the 1080p 120hz. No monitor lists all the specs tho. Just the basics. So I wouldn't be able to find a 1440p 144hz monitor with hdmi 2.0 input. But I can try
well I mentioned 1440p cuz I wasn't sure what your external display was.

As for finding a monitor with the support and features you want, use https://pcpartpicker.com (assuming you're in the US. Site address will be varied depending on country)

Feb 5, 2020
Honestly, if I could, I'd reset and return the laptop and save up the rest for a pre built desktop. But I've had this thing for a few months so i wouldnt be able to return it.

Feb 5, 2020
well I mentioned 1440p cuz I wasn't sure what your external display was.

As for finding a monitor with the support and features you want, use https://pcpartpicker.com (assuming you're in the US. Site address will be varied depending on country)

The display port adapter and cable i ordered just got here. They work. Yet the monitor wont run 120hz. And the 'hide all refresh rates the monitor cant run' or w/e is grayed out. 120hz is an option but cant run it.

Gonna try and make a custom display setting 1 for 1080p and 1 for 1440p

Feb 5, 2020
The display port adapter and cable i ordered just got here. They work. Yet the monitor wont run 120hz. And the 'hide all refresh rates the monitor cant run' or w/e is grayed out. 120hz is an option but cant run it.

Gonna try and make a custom display setting 1 for 1080p and 1 for 1440p

Just tested it. 1080p wont even go above 60hz.

Feb 5, 2020
Last edited: