How do I get a Win 7 Pro computer to display users on a Win 10 Pro computer connected to the same Private network?

KCav45

Reputable
May 28, 2016
When I log onto a desktop computer running Windows 7 Pro and click on the icon for Windows Explorer/Networking my Windows 10 Pro notebook is shown, however the only User is Public.

The Win 10 Pro notebook configuration under Network and Sharing Center/Advance sharing:
1. Private profile has been selected and “turn on network discovery” is selected with automatic setup checked.
2. All Networks, “Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folders” is checked.

By selecting these options the Win 10 Pro notebook became discovered by the Win 7 notebook. What do I need to do to allow specific Users to share Folder/Files access on computers running Win 7 Pro and Win 10 Pro connected to a Private network?

Solution
Problem solved - Function Discovery Provider Host and Function Discovery Resource Publication were not running - when I turned them on and set to run Automatically problem discovering devices on Private Network solved
Make your users log in with known user name and password. On computer acting as a "Server", create same users with same passwords. You can put these users in a group, for easier management. Share a folder, and give these users (or group) permissions both thru the share, and over the shared folder, as needed.

Or invest in a NAS.

KCav45

Reputable
May 28, 2016
Problem solved - Function Discovery Provider Host and Function Discovery Resource Publication were not running - when I turned them on and set to run Automatically problem discovering devices on Private Network solved

Solution