Question How do I get additional power from my motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2020
Hi,
I have an MBX-224 machine. I am trying to connect a 2-port usb 3.0 expresscard into the provided expresscard slot. The only problem is that it requires external power to function. A USB power cable was provided but it appears to be insufficient when connected to my laptop. The two usb 3.0 ports use 1800mA max but the usb's on my laptop are all usb 2.0 and maxes out at 500mA. An external adapter is too much of a hassle for my working environment. All my SATA ports are in use so Molex is not an option either. I want to permanently fix this expresscard to my laptop.
There is a memory card reader free on my MB (HG pro duo). There are a few debug ports and vram slots available too.
So how can I get an additional 5V 1800mA off of my motherboard to power it without of course frying anything?
Thanks.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
IDK if the motherboard can support that. even chaining the two 2.0 ports together will only get you 1A.
the easiest solution I can think of would be a powered HUB. a powered hub can power the USBs needed to power the expresscards requirements.

it is a roundabout way of doing it but all I can think of. either that or a battery bank with 3.0 charging.

Reactions: savez
Jan 20, 2020
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
What I want to do is trick my motherboard to think that a memory card and vrams are connected so I can get the powers out. There must be some other way to directly obtain power from the MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.