Question How do I get back into my PC if I have a black screen of death after trying to open up in safe mode?

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
I've been having a little trouble with my graphics card so I was going to try to put in a different driver. I was going to go into safe mode and use ddu to remove the old graphics driver and install a new one from Nvidia. Used Ms config to boot into safe mode and when I restarted my computer all I get is a black screen. I already jumpered the CMOS hoping that would work and it doesn't. Any help please?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What was that "little trouble" with the graphics card?

How did you jumper CMOS? What procedure did you follow? Motherboard procedure?

Double check all video connections.

Are you able to get into BIOS?

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What was that "little trouble" with the graphics card?

How did you jumper CMOS? What procedure did you follow? Motherboard procedure?

Double check all video connections.

Are you able to get into BIOS?
My system specs are at the bottom of my post and I have win11.

I had stuttering issues playing and recording madden22 and had an outdated graphics driver, so I was going to install an update .

I used the instructions from the mobo manual. Removed battery and then jumpered.

All connections are good. I have three monitors connected and all are black screened.

I can't get into BIOS or recovery now. I just don't know where to go from here other an maybe order a new GPU AND see if that works.

May 25, 2023
Does your system have an igpu? It might be trying to use that as display device due to update shenanigans, so if you have one you could try to plug into that.

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
Does your system have an igpu? It might be trying to use that as display device due to update shenanigans, so if you have one you could try to plug into that.
Not sure what an IGPU is, but it seems that I spoke too soon on the 3rd monitor. It's a TV connected with HDMI cable to the GPU. When I turned the tv on it had the AMD screen that asks you to press F1 to get into setup and when I did it put me in the BIOS. Everything was correct so I did a hard reboot and when it rebooted it did go into safe mode, but only on the tv. I then reset msconfig to boot normally and the other two monitors came back. I don't understand what happened, but now I'm learry of trying to boot into safe mode again. Think I should be?

Duh, internal GPU and I don't think so. It only has a driver on the MOBO that will get the cards drivers installed. If I wouldn't have an external graphics card, I wouldn't have a display at all.

Last edited:
May 25, 2023
igpu is integrated gpu, on my system there is an HDMI port on the mobo itself and if your cpu has an integrated gpu it could have been trying to display from that instead of the gpu itself, happened to me once in the past.

glad you figured it out tho :)

If I had to guess I would say booting to safe mode disables the non-primary displays, and the tv was your primary display, and if it was off... Seems like expected behavior. You might be able to change primary display device in bios to change it to your main monitor. Or rearrange your cables so your main monitor is going into the port your TV is currently plugged in to.