How do i get files off my external hard drive when it says it needs formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmilanes

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
This HDD was connected to my PC but it only have some video files that I can't lose. Seagate. 2TB.
Now when I connect it inside of my PC like extra HDD or using usb adapter, appear a message telling me I need to format it.
Please, somebody know how can I to save all my files in that hard drive?

div12

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

Hello Mr201,

thank you very much for your solution... have been facing this problem and trying to find a solution for almost a day now.... your solution solved my problem within 2 minutes... very grateful

Nan S

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013

Hi.. I too have the same problem. I did the first step as instructed. but can you tell me where i should change the" h" drive of my hard disk to E or D?? in my computers??
Please help.
Thanks.

Nan S

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013

Thanks for this post!! I had stored important data from 3 desktops in my external HDD when suddenly it asked me to format it! This was the only back up i had n u can imagine my shock n trauma! Your suggestion resolved the problem within minutes! :) thanks again!

G

Does this erase the files on the HDD or not? I'm to scared to do it on my own just in case it deletes everything.

Aerogeist

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

The step suggested will NOT delete everything. I can understand the apprehension, since there are people who find it amusing to have people run commands that wipe their computer for "fun". "chkdsk" is the windows program to check a drive for errors (check disk, abbreviated). The /f switch tells it to fix any errors that it finds on the disk (rather than just telling you it found errors and having to run it again). The h:, or e:, or d:, or whatever, is just telling it which drive to check, that's why you need to use whatever the letter is for your drive. If you're curious and would like to see what all options are available when running chkdsk, you can type "chkdsk /?" at the command prompt (without the quotes of course).

shivi786

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

Thank u very much. it worked in just 2 minute.
I was so tensed after my segate expanson External HDD stop working and showed error
massage (You need to format the Drive before use it). Now its working correctly after chkdsk/ process in CMD prompt.
Thanks once again............

reena_disabelle

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014

reena_disabelle

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014

I encountered the same problem and i follow the step above, but after doing so the command prompts " cannot open volume for direct access", what should I do to have a direct access and to recover all the files in the drive? could somebody help..pleassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssse..

Thanks much!

pwpl

Reputable
May 3, 2014

every time I do this...it saysthis is a fat32 file and shows up with send an error report. It works if I do 'f' but not when I do 'e' which is the external hard drive I am having problems with. Pls could you advise me what to do. Thanks in advance.

mealsie

Reputable
May 25, 2014

Hi. I have same problem - used hdd last week and was fine, now it is saying it needs formatting. I tried the solution you suggested and nothing is happening. Help - have loads of photos and family videos on hdd. Very novice computer person so please be as basic as possible

cap1010

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
I don't have a reply but more of a need help.

C:\Users\CP>chkdsk /f g:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is BACKUP.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
113360 file records processed.
File verification completed.
83 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
2 EA records processed.
0 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
68 percent complete. (113405 of 126208 index entries processed)
Correcting error in index $I30 for file 272.
Correcting error in index $I30 for file 272.
Sorting index $I30 in file 272.

Where do I go from here after running chkdsk /f d:?

I've tried Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier, FileSaver and several others without success. I'm open to suggestions.

Sii1

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014

Thanx verrrryyyyyu muchhhhhh really appreciate it

sheriffdude

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
hi this is no solution i need help it came up on my computer to backup so i did i used my 2tb drive and it back up 8gig so that was fine until i looked and all there was on the drive was 8gig of back up the rest of the drive now says unallocated so i renamed the drive to A but cant access the drive until i reformat it i have hundreds of files on here have i lost it all

vannessaboyle

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014

im lost please help me.
how do you this what you are talking about ..i would like to see if it works on my problem to .

jesb21

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014

THANK YOU SO MUCH! this worked and saved my daughters 1st birthday photos. the one time i dont back up to multiple places this happened. THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.