Question How do I get games to use the correct input device ?

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Hello, I am an avid gamer that enjoys many types of games, including flight simulation and sim racing for which I have hardware for. I also have an Xbox gamepad for other types of games. I have multiple devices plugged in like joystick, rudder pedals, throttle quadrant as well as the Xbox controller, I unplug my sim racing wheel & pedals when not racing.

The problem I'm having is that some games that I need the gamepad for, they often seem to recognize one of my flight simulation devices and won't recognize the gamepad. Like one game I was just trying to configure my gamepad with, recognized my joystick as my control device. I have tried going to Devices and Printers > Game controller settings > Advanced and selecting the gamepad as the preferred device but this rarely seems to work for me. I mostly only have this problem in games that I buy from Epic or GOG, in Steam, usually disabling Steam Inputs often fixes the problem.

Is there any kind of solutions to fix this problem?

I know I could just unplug everything besides the gamepad but this is a huge hassle for me because some of the flight simulators I use (I use many different civil and combat flight sims as well as space flight sims) will make me have to rebind all of my controls when I plug them back in. Also, I switch between games often, for example in one day I will do a flight in a simulator, play a game that requires the gamepad, then do another flight and afterwards, swich back to playing a different game so unplugging everything all the time is not a solution for me.

I would greatly apprecate any advice,

Thanks

Good solution!^^

I've had a similar problem. With Driving wheel, Xbox gamepad, and a HOTAS connected to the system at any given time. In BF2042 for example, if leave the HOTAS connected, then when I enter a game, my character looks vertically up and spins around in a circle until I disconnect the HOTAS. It's a real pain. I think it's prob down to the Xinput. Disconnecting is fine for me.

Reactions: Kalnon and boju

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Thank you all for you advice, I really appreciate it.

I never thought of a USB hub, that's a fantastic idea. I do have one already but it doesn't have individual switches for each port which is what you guys are talking about right? Use the individual USB hub port switches to turn on/off devices?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you all for you advice, I really appreciate it.

I never thought of a USB hub, that's a fantastic idea. I do have one already but it doesn't have individual switches for each port which is what you guys are talking about right? Use the individual USB hub port switches to turn on/off devices?

Yeah like this one. It's bi-directional, either share a device to two computers or two devices to one computer with toggle switch.

I use similar. Not sure if there's a switch with more than two but you could always get two of these if need.

Last edited:

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Reactions: boju

TRENDING THREADS