Question How do I get Multiple Display settings to work for me, while only using one monitor at a time?

zedtocricket

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
I have a TV that faces my bed, where I watch movies. I also have a desk, where my Monitor sits and I play games and study. Before, I would constantly be switching the HDMI cables in and out of my graphics card, but I finally got a Display-port to HDMI adapter, so now both my displays are plugged in.

Here's the issue, clone the display would work, but my TV is a 4K HDR TV, and my Monitor is a simple 1080p TV. So cloning the display automatically makes one of the monitors run at the wrong resolution.

I've tried the extend this display setting, but since I only have one display on a time, and they're turned away from each other, I have a problem. If I'm in front of my TV and I open an Application, it opens on my monitor only. If I move my browser over to my TV, and then return to my PC, I can't see the browser on my monitor unless I move it back. Not to mention that if my mouse cursor is by my massive 4k TV and I want it to return to my Monitor, I have to move it for ages until I see it again.

Are there any possible solutions for me? Any workaround on the clone display settings, to get both monitors to run at their optimal resolution and for me to enable HDR on the TV, when I feel like it?

Thanks!

RyanJG4321

Reputable
Feb 13, 2019
if you just wanted to extend the screen and have two different screens with different resolutions, you can just connect them and go into display options. Assuming that the TV is above the computer drag the TV`s screen above the computers, now when you put up past your computer screen it will run into the TV screen, you can also manually change the resolution of each screen. so your computer and your TV can have separate resolutions, however the duplicate/mirror option forces you to have the same resolution. View: https://imgur.com/mptPGi6