Question how do i get my GPU to work?

Jun 5, 2019
I recently got a GTX 1050 ti (was previously using Intels integrated graphics) i believe i've plugged and screwed everything in properly, however when booting my PC i got no response, in fact the GPU wouldn't move at all.
Im not quite sure whats the problem, however my only idea is that the GPU isn't directly connected to the power supply as most sources i've read have said that its not required as the GPU runs off the motherboard.

thank you in advance!

I recently got a GTX 1050 ti (was previously using Intels integrated graphics) i believe i've plugged and screwed everything in properly, however when booting my PC i got no response, in fact the GPU wouldn't move at all.

What are your full PC specs ? Which Motherboard do you have ? Is the GPU seated on the primary PCI-E x16 slot ? Have you tried updating your system's BIOS as well, just in case doing this might help ?

Reactions: rgd1101
Jun 5, 2019
What are your full PC specs ? Which Motherboard do you have ? Is the GPU seated on the primary PCI-E x16 slot ? Have you tried updating your system's BIOS as well, just in case doing this might help ?

i have:
an intel core i3-2120 processor
8gb of dual-channel DDR3 RAM at 666mhz
a gateway motherboard (DT71)
hanns,G monitor
2x 465gb western digital hardrives

i know my speccs arent great but im currently in the process of upgrading

Jun 5, 2019

my motherboard only has the one PCI-E x16 slot and im not sure how to update the BIOS im still very new to this whole thing

Gateway motherboard, so this is some older OEM Gateway computer? Need some better info, what type/brand/model of computer is this?

You said you are in the process or upgrading, do you mean replacing the computer or are you trying to fit better parts in the system you have? That second one is probably not a good idea.

BIOS update you would get from the computer vendor or motherboard vendor. Also an OEM motherboard may not be able to run the card, and you may have a power issue with a too weak power supply, or not enough power through the PCIe slot to power the card.

Update the BIOS in the system and list the specs on the power supply, brand and model and also list the amp rating on the 12 volt rails.

You have a good chance of being stuck with that box as it is, upgrading OEM basic use systems can be impossible or harder than it's worth spending time and money on.

Jun 5, 2019
Gateway motherboard, so this is some older OEM Gateway computer? Need some better info, what type/brand/model of computer is this?

You said you are in the process or upgrading, do you mean replacing the computer or are you trying to fit better parts in the system you have? That second one is probably not a good idea.

BIOS update you would get from the computer vendor or motherboard vendor. Also an OEM motherboard may not be able to run the card, and you may have a power issue with a too weak power supply, or not enough power through the PCIe slot to power the card.

Update the BIOS in the system and list the specs on the power supply, brand and model and also list the amp rating on the 12 volt rails.

You have a good chance of being stuck with that box as it is, upgrading OEM basic use systems can be impossible or harder than it's worth spending time and money on.

Well that's good to know, my friend is giving me his computer for unreasonably cheap so if it is the motherboard or power supply I'll change those out, I have limited knowledge of his computer but he runs a gtx 970 on it just fine

If a 970 runs fine, then I would get the same range and age of card. It could be the system can't work with the newer video cards.

That system is not very good for gaming on, the CPU will have issues playing modern games.

You are replying to the posts wrong, you need to type in your reply after the quote tags, you are adding in your replies inside the quoted text.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Jun 5, 2019
If a 970 runs fine, then I would get the same range and age of card. It could be the system can't work with the newer video cards.

That system is not very good for gaming on, the CPU will have issues playing modern games.

You are replying to the posts wrong, you need to type in your reply after the quote tags, you are adding in your replies inside the quoted text.

So I switched some of my parts around and now the GPU is now in a MSI H61M-P31/W8 motherboard with a Intel i5-3340 and a ATX 500B power supply and still I'm getting nothing :/

Jun 5, 2019
Was this a new video card? You followed all directions to install it? If you are getting no display from two computers with the card, I would contact the vendor support and see what they say.
Yep completely new, I believe I followed all necessary steps? I will message my vendor just in case though